Pictures of New Coop under Construction

i forgot to ask but it your design or pre fab........and when can you come to kansas to build mine:D
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
......it's been a month now and i have my fondation in only.......building the dh a dog house next;)
wink.png

kansas_twister - I built this from a bulding design that I had seen in a shed book. My wife was not sold on the idea of having chickens so I thought if built a really nice coop with easy maintenance that it might win her over. So far it is working, I actually think she getting kind of excited about it. I really liked the salt box roof design even though the cuts were a little hard for me being a beginner carpenter. A lot of the materials used were left over from building our house and from some materials that come out of a remodel job my sister is doing. This is actually my first hands on building project and I have been pretty suprised how well it has turned out. I had some help with the shingles but other than that I have done the layout (using thoughts and ideas gained from this forum and books that I have been reading on chickens) and bulding with me and a helper.

My 5yo currently has 12 chickens and We plan to keep up to 24 in the coop. She has a variety so far, 2 RIR, 2 NHR, 2 SLW, 2 Dom, 2 White Rock, 2 Buff. I think we will wait a little while before we get any more. Once we determine which breed we like best I think I would like to get a rooster and let my daugher incubate some eggs next year. I based the 24 on 4sqft per chicken. I noticed the in the post that it may posbily hold up to 32, that sounds good. Will the 96sqft coop hold 32 ok?

I was also thinking of making and hanging a small brooder about 3'L x 2.5'W x 12"to18" tall with 1/2" welded wire on the top, front and bottom with a catch tray beneath for dropings. I'm putting a receptacle for a heat lamp near the area I'm planning to put the brooder. Is their anything wrong with keeping chicks in the same area (coop) with the others as long as they are in the brooder?

I'm also getting ready to get started on the run. I was thinking about a 16' x 16' 6' tall with chicken wire or netting on the top. Is this size ok for 24 hens? Should it be bigger or smaller?

Thanks for all the great comments. This forum is great!

You want 3-4 feet per bird in the coop and 10 feet per bird in the run. 16 x 16 would be 256 sf, so about perfect for 24 birds!
big_smile.png

Did I mention how jealous I am of your beautiful coop?! It is very, very fine!

Back
Top Bottom