Pictures of Pheasant Housing/Run

Hi everyone im new on this forum...And I am from Croatia!!
welcome-byc.gif
Is that you're silver in you're profile?

I love planting lots of bamboo in my pheasant pens because it is evergreen, providing cover all year around. Bamboo is also hardy enough to withstand the birds long term but I always protect a freshly transplanted plant with a minimum two foot high ring of wire mesh for the first year or the birds will kill it.

This bamboo plant growing through the roof (8 foot high roof) of the pen became a problem and I have since cut it out and removed it. It's shed leaves wouldn't fall through the top wire and built up and began to rot the beam, plus the cats would always lie on the leaves up there in the sun and that bothers me :)

The dream bamboo I am replacing it with (and planting in every pen from now on) is "Fargesia nitida" (Fountain Bamboo)
This is a shade thriving, clumping bamboo that sends new culms up no further than inches from the plant, has culms no thicker than 1/4 inch diameter, and grows to 10 feet high but is a weeping bamboo so the stems arch over. When new culms grow through the wire roof I simply push them over until the stem is inside the pen and when I let them go the tip is inside the pen bent flat against the ceiling. When these new culms grow leaves they begin to droop away from the roof because of the added weight. Every year each culm grows more leaves resulting in the oldest culms weeping the furthest. This is a beautiful plant and I have found it to be perfect for my aviaries in every way.

-Stephen
How hard was it to keep this bamboo from spreading out of control?

We do have issues with predators.

Owls were killing some pheasants thru the netting on top- taking them off the roost- so we lowered the roosts. OR most pens now have a roof over were the roosts are.

Mink got in and killed a few, but they have done alot more damage in the duck pens- seems the mink prefer ducks or geese (smaller wild types) if they have a chance to get either.

We are in the process of selling out almost all our Ringneck pheasants and cutting back on the others too. This is what we had going into breeding season 2009:

Red Golden
Yellow Golden
Dark Throated Golden
Cinnamon Splash Golden
Silver Golden
Splash Golden
Peach Splash Golden
Peach Golden
Lady Amherst
Cheer
Impeyan
Koklass
Blue Eared
Brown Eared
Grey Peacock
Palawan Peacock
Bornean Fireback
Malayan Fireback
Siamese Fireback
Silver
Swinhoe
Edwards
White Crested Kalij
Reeves
Ijima Copper
Elliot
Humes Bartailed
Mikado
Temminck Tragopan
Satyr Tragopan

Ringnecks:
Chinese
Chinese Jumbo
White Jumbo
Green
Black
White
Alaskan Snow
Blue Alaskan Snow
Buff Isabel
Buff
Red Buff
Chinese Pied
Green Pied
Buff Pied
Blackneck
Platinum
Chocolate
Blue
Blue Pied
Silver
Ivory

We usually try to keep more than one pen of each also. Some breeds we have several pens of.
That is a lot of pheasants!

Back
Top Bottom