Pictures of Pheasant Housing/Run

How hard was it to keep this bamboo from spreading out of control?
The first bamboo that grew through the roof and I cut out wasn't hard to control. It was in the ground for 8 or 9 years and the spread was minimal in my opinion. The plant would send out 4ft runners but there would be a culm at the end of each runner so if I didn't like the direction the plant was going I would cut the runner off at the plant and pull the end culm + runner out. I have 6 different species of bamboo, some clumping, some running, 4 foot high plants and timber bamboo. I spend a few hours every few years on some of the plants to cut them back and I've never had a problem with them spreading out of control. The clumping bamboo that I plant in my pens now is perfect for aviaries and because new culms come up only inches from the base so it doesn't spread that fast. I have an established plant in the garden in front of the house that I cut bits off every year to transplant into my pens.

Okay, I just went out front and took a photo of it,

"Fargesia nitida"

This plant is maybe 8 years old and it's base is about 3x3feet. The new culms are the straightest and each year they grow more leaves and get heavier, drooping down. If you look closely you'll see that the car is parked about 4 feet lower than the planter so you can see how low the oldest culms droop creating great cover for birds.

-Stephen

The first bamboo that grew through the roof and I cut out wasn't hard to control. It was in the ground for 8 or 9 years and the spread was minimal in my opinion. The plant would send out 4ft runners but there would be a culm at the end of each runner so if I didn't like the direction the plant was going I would cut the runner off at the plant and pull the end culm + runner out. I have 6 different species of bamboo, some clumping, some running, 4 foot high plants and timber bamboo. I spend a few hours every few years on some of the plants to cut them back and I've never had a problem with them spreading out of control. The clumping bamboo that I plant in my pens now is perfect for aviaries and because new culms come up only inches from the base so it doesn't spread that fast. I have an established plant in the garden in front of the house that I cut bits off every year to transplant into my pens.

Okay, I just went out front and took a photo of it,

"Fargesia nitida"

This plant is maybe 8 years old and it's base is about 3x3feet. The new culms are the straightest and each year they grow more leaves and get heavier, drooping down. If you look closely you'll see that the car is parked about 4 feet lower than the planter so you can see how low the oldest culms droop creating great cover for birds.

-Stephen
Where were you able to buy that? Bamboo is illegal to plant here because it's so invasive but a species like this that doesn't spread out of control would be great to put in my future pheasant pens.

Bamboo is excellent for pheasant pens.It gives them hiding places,shade and security.Plus it makes your pens looks nice with live plantings.The only problem is you need to contain it or constantly clipping it so it doesn't take over.Richard Schock in N.C. grows it for green houses.
In N.H.,Tony.

The clumping type of bamboo is much easier to control. I use it in my peafowl aviary.
Does Richard Schock still raise green peafowl? I found some photos of his great looking green peafowl on the old GBWF forum and I was wondering if he still raises them?

These are my pens.  I bulid them and sell them to people. the pens and cages are in sections and then screwed all together real good so they are easy to take down and transport if you happen to move.

this is my 8x8 cage  it holds 4 ringnecks and a pair of mandarins
pictures406.jpg

pictures407.jpg

pictures409.jpg

this is a 4x8 off ground i have bobwhites and my other ringneck quad in one of these. i have yet to get one built for my silver pheasants.

pictures411.jpg

pictures413.jpg

pictures414.jpg

Im about to build a pen like your but 8 x 16

Not the best pic but these are my pens. Ihave a pair of yellow goldens on the right pen and on the left I have a trio of red goldens. i also had red legged partridge on the left side but someone stole them.

I only have a one pair of red golden and I just have a 12x12 dog kennel wrapped in wire for their avairy. My question is I have a box hanging on the side that is and old rabbit cage, so it is made of rabbit wire, should that be enclosed with wood? I live in Missouri so we will eventually get snow.

Back
Top Bottom