Pig breeding

Thewildpigman

Hatching
Mar 15, 2021
So I have a female pig around 8 months or so. She lives full time with our boar but there's been no action from the boar. So i would like to know if there is anything that I can do to get some action between them.
Some more info.
They live in a pretty big pen with another female pig that has never been bread before due to her being sterile. Started to move the other female pig to another pen.
The boar is around 400 pounds and the female pig is less than 200 but more than 150

We can't really afford to keep the pig any longer and we don't want her to have her babies in winter.

How do you know there has been no action from the boar, especially if she lives with him full time? If she has been with the boar all this time she is pregnant. If she isn't there is something wrong with her or him. It seems to me that 200 pounds is awfully small for an eight month old gilt. Have you looked for or seen any evidence of her ever coming into heat?

How do you know there has been no action from the boar, especially if she lives with him full time? If she has been with the boar all this time she is pregnant. If she isn't there is something wrong with her or him. It seems to me that 200 pounds is awfully small for an eight month old gilt. Have you looked for or seen any evidence of her ever coming into heat?
Not seen any signs of heat from her. But not really sure how to tell. She shows no signs of pregnancy.

I have no advice for you, but I will agree with the above, have you been watching them 24/7? If not then it is very possible you just haven't seen an action.
I hope you find out the issue soon! I will follow this thread as well, good luck!

She's too young. Plenty of pigs won't breed much before a year. Ten months is usually the very earliest, but many won't have a strong, breedable heat until 14 months. Although weight is more of a factor than age. Unless she's a breed known for being small, I wouldn't expect a gilt to breed at less than 200# and I wouldn't fault one who wasn't fertile until she was 220+

If I was cutting costs, I'd be rid of the sterile sow and the boar long before I got rid of the gilt. My favorite way to keep a boar is in little tubes that cost like $40 after shipping. There is no need to feed a four hundred pound animal so he can work 5 minutes a year, especially not when it's so cheap and easy to do the same job with a little tube.

Back
Top Bottom