Pigeon cage size?

If I use sand as the bedding is there a likelihood that worms or parasites will thrive in the sand? I would like to mention that there would be a solid rubber liner underneath the sand. The sand won’t touch bare soil.
I have heard that before, but I haven’t had problems with parasites and a dirt flooring, even though that should be worse. However, I do treat my pigeons for worms every year as a precaution.

This is what my empty aviary (I used to have chickens) looks like. Should I put sand on top of the pavers? Or will the poop easily be scraped off with a floor scraper?

IMG_5279.jpeg

This is what my empty aviary (I used to have chickens) looks like. Should I put sand on top of the pavers? Or will the poop easily be scraped off with a floor scraper?

View attachment 3568328
Nice looking aviary! As to your question, I don’t know what you should do. I would probably leave in the pavers myself since you already have them, but that’s just me. Maybe you could take out the pavers under the roosts and replace them with sand only in that section of the aviary?

Nice looking aviary! As to your question, I don’t know what you should do. I would probably leave in the pavers myself since you already have them, but that’s just me. Maybe you could take out the pavers under the roosts and replace them with sand only on that section of the aviary?
I like your idea of sectioning off the area underneath the wood shelves. Thanks!

If I had a setup like that I agree with the other post that I would leave the pavers. . An idea that popped into my head would be a simple piece of plywood fastened underneath the lowest perch row, wide enough to accommodate pigeons facing both ways and pooping off of it, which you could slide out and scrape off. Or you could use sand or anything else.
Another idea that might make cleaning easier would be to cover the thin row of loose stone around the edges. It looks like it dips down slightly and lots of poop and feathers would accumulate there. If you did a row of smaller pavers around the inside perimeter you can scrape the edges down (they will eventually poop over nearly the entire floor area) scrape everything into the center and sweep it all out :)

Back
Top Bottom