pigeon feed questions

That feed you are buying looks imported from Belgium, which is why it's so expensive. Try to find a local feed store or even grain company that can help you track down a good pigeon mix. I've found feed stores, if they know you'll be a somewhat regular client, will stock things for you or at least special order.

You want something around 14-16% protein. A an example of a good mix is millet/milo, buckwheat, flint corn, maple peas and vetch peas. This provides a good balance. If you can't find that kind of mix, you may want to look into finding all the ingredients and mixing it together. It would require buying quite a bit at once, but it will save you money.

A final option, which works just fine, is feeding them a non medicated chicken pellet (must be non medicated) that is around 15% protein (most layer pellets should like that). IMO that is a better option than feeding them some feed alternative like only sunflower seeds or corn. Mine do not like chicken pellets much, they are spoiled, if I ever give it to them they won't eat it, but if it's all you give them they will have to eat it and will do just fine on it. It just seems mine really prefer the above mentioned pigeon feed.

Btw, your bird with the white head and blue barred wings looks a lot like two Bekaerts I have. Love them.
It's made at a seed factory about an hour away from where I live. I do offer them some of my fermented layer pellets once a week and they nibble it a little, but they are pretty spoiled and definitely prefer the seed mix lol.

Why, its @LamarshFish ! How have you and your birds been? I have looked at the old threads in the pigeon section, and you sure have given a wealth of information out over the years. We haven't overlapped much, but I feel like I know you pretty well!

All is well, thank you! I started on this site knowing nothing about pigeons, but have learned a ton on my own from this site, reading online, from racers in my hometown, and from my own experiences. I have been very busy with a new business, and a growing family, so just have had less time to browse forums.

I still have my birds, and they are doing very well. I have had my birds now for around 4 years and have been fortunate to avoid any sickness or death in my loft. I lose a bird loft flying from time to time. I stopped doing tosses a year so ago, and just loft fly. My small loft is somewhat maxed out at 13. I have prevented accidental births for about a year with fake eggs until just the other day, they snuck just one past me and I have a week old squab.

Back
Top Bottom