pigeon feed questions

I also have one more question for now. I can make this a separate post if I have to.
For banding youngsters, do I have to be part of a club? Mine are mostly for fun, and I'd like to breed more in the future as I do more research on it. I don't have the time to do racing and showing, but what if I wanted to NPA band squabs? Joining the club here is some ridiculous fee. I haven't found very much information on it, but can I just make some kind of NPA account and order bands?

I also have one more question for now. I can make this a separate post if I have to.
For banding youngsters, do I have to be part of a club? Mine are mostly for fun, and I'd like to breed more in the future as I do more research on it. I don't have the time to do racing and showing, but what if I wanted to NPA band squabs? Joining the club here is some ridiculous fee. I haven't found very much information on it, but can I just make some kind of NPA account and order bands?
Don't have to be a member. You can order from one of the pigeon supply places. Foys sells AU, and IF racing bands, and also NPA bands. They also have their own IPB bands, but those can't be used for racing or showing (also kind of a downfall if you ever want to sell some to someone who is interested in doing those things). https://foyspetsupplies.com/pigeon/equipment/bands/yearly-leg-bands/ I believe you said you have homers, so if you want to use NPA bands you'll need to buy 8mm size for them.

If I buy them from Foy's and the bird gets lost and found, will they be able to track it back to me?
Not sure there??
That is one reason @biophiliac got her bands from a local racing club.
I used generic bands from China, that indicated year of birth. That is all that was important to me, to keep track of pigeons ages.
You can order bands from sellers on Ebay that will print your info on bands. Usually like a phone number is sufficient.
I also used a second snap on leg band to ID, hens and cocks. Blue, and Pink. You can scribble a phone number onto those with a marking tool.
1614118890555.png

Not sure there??
That is one reason @biophiliac got her bands from a local racing club.
I used generic bands from China, that indicated year of birth. That is all that was important to me, to keep track of pigeons ages.
You can order bands from sellers on Ebay that will print your info on bands. Usually like a phone number is sufficient.
I also used a second snap on leg band to ID, hens and cocks. Blue, and Pink. You can scribble a phone number onto those with a marking tool.
View attachment 2542479
I have considered just getting plastic snap on bands with my phone number and their year on them from eBay. I know I want to do that for my older birds. Thank you!!

I don't know for sure on that. Only way to really know, would be to contact Foy's and ask them directly. I would assume they keep records, but I've learned long ago not to assume anything haha.
Yes! One of mine was returned to me through Foy’s. The finder called Foy’s and gave them the number on the band and then Foy’s gave them the phone number from my account, so make sure you make one and give that info!
Getting your own snap ons is also a good idea.

That feed you are buying looks imported from Belgium, which is why it's so expensive. Try to find a local feed store or even grain company that can help you track down a good pigeon mix. I've found feed stores, if they know you'll be a somewhat regular client, will stock things for you or at least special order.

You want something around 14-16% protein. A an example of a good mix is millet/milo, buckwheat, flint corn, maple peas and vetch peas. This provides a good balance. If you can't find that kind of mix, you may want to look into finding all the ingredients and mixing it together. It would require buying quite a bit at once, but it will save you money.

A final option, which works just fine, is feeding them a non medicated chicken pellet (must be non medicated) that is around 15% protein (most layer pellets should like that). IMO that is a better option than feeding them some feed alternative like only sunflower seeds or corn. Mine do not like chicken pellets much, they are spoiled, if I ever give it to them they won't eat it, but if it's all you give them they will have to eat it and will do just fine on it. It just seems mine really prefer the above mentioned pigeon feed.

Btw, your bird with the white head and blue barred wings looks a lot like two Bekaerts I have. Love them.

That feed you are buying looks imported from Belgium, which is why it's so expensive. Try to find a local feed store or even grain company that can help you track down a good pigeon mix. I've found feed stores, if they know you'll be a somewhat regular client, will stock things for you or at least special order.

You want something around 14-16% protein. A an example of a good mix is millet/milo, buckwheat, flint corn, maple peas and vetch peas. This provides a good balance. If you can't find that kind of mix, you may want to look into finding all the ingredients and mixing it together. It would require buying quite a bit at once, but it will save you money.

A final option, which works just fine, is feeding them a non medicated chicken pellet (must be non medicated) that is around 15% protein (most layer pellets should like that). IMO that is a better option than feeding them some feed alternative like only sunflower seeds or corn. Mine do not like chicken pellets much, they are spoiled, if I ever give it to them they won't eat it, but if it's all you give them they will have to eat it and will do just fine on it. It just seems mine really prefer the above mentioned pigeon feed.

Btw, your bird with the white head and blue barred wings looks a lot like two Bekaerts I have. Love them.
Why, its @LamarshFish ! How have you and your birds been? I have looked at the old threads in the pigeon section, and you sure have given a wealth of information out over the years. We haven't overlapped much, but I feel like I know you pretty well!

Back
Top Bottom