pigeon feed questions

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
Hi ya'll! I have 4 adult homers and would like to get some input on their diet. Right now they are on Winner's cup 14% and get about 2-2.5 cups total a day. They seem to be hungry when I feed, but not so hungry that they finish it all right away. This feed is almost $30 a bag so I was thinking about cheaper options if I could. This brand is the only one they sell at my feed store though. If ya'll had any other brand suggestions, I could call up other feed stores around.
I don't fly the birds outside. They have about a 5x9 area (guessing, I haven't actually measured it but im comparing the floor size to a normal piece of plywood) and its 6-6.5(slanted roof) feet tall. The feed store has a grain diet that is 11% protein for only $15ish a bag. Ive bred them once and I have one 3 week old squab that I intend on keeping but I don't plan on breeding again for a while. When I do I know they need more feed and more protein. So my question is can I feed them the 11% since I don't fly them and they aren't breeding? If not, why do they make it at that %? Also, should I be feeding more/less? Right now I have chick grit in there and they pick at it, but I want to get something better. Which of these should I get? Im aware only one includes grit. I'm still pretty new to pigeons and I want to get
everything right :p If you have any other suggestions, feel free to tell me what to do lol. I respect that there are people on here that know much more than I do, my only request is that you understand that I'm still new to this kind of bird, so please don't get upset if I'm doing something wrong. I'm willing to try new things that are better for them.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.05.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.05.43 PM.png

Right now they are on Winner's cup 14% and get about 2-2.5 cups total a day.
That's a great feed, but more for flying.
This feed is almost $30 a bag so I was thinking about cheaper options if I could.
Always try to find cheaper options!
So my question is can I feed them the 11% since I don't fly them and they aren't breeding? If not, why do they make it at that %?
11% is a little low in my opinion. I don't go lower than 12.5%, and even then I prefer 13-14% protein. BUT I am flying and breeding much more than you. I would recommend getting a bag of each, and mixing them, as i feel that would be the best protein percentage for your birds and what they are doing.

Why do they make it so low? Because it's a cheap feed and they don't want to put high protein grain in it. :)
Also, should I be feeding more/less?
I think a little less may be good. But, do what works for your birds!
Right now I have chick grit in there and they pick at it, but I want to get something better. Which of these should I get? Im aware only one includes grit. I'm still pretty new to pigeons and I want to get
everything right :p
I feed red grit, oyster shell, and crushed cattle minerals. I also give them pick pots, which is a block of hardened grit and minerals that they pick at. out of the two you are looking at, I really don't know. Look for red grit at your local feed store!
so please don't get upset if I'm doing something wrong.
you arent doing anything wrong! Even if you were, pigeon people can keep their cool. Don't worry!

We do need some photos of your birds by the way!

Alright, that sounds good! I was considering mixing them, but figured I'd ask on here first. I have cows, but I get them the mineral bricks. I can get the loose minerals, but I've only ever seen them in 50 pound bags. I will look into the block! You said "thats a great feed, but more for flying." Is there a different brand you'd suggest for ones that aren't flown? Thank you!
The white is one I rescued. I think she was probably one of those wedding pigeons that got lost. I had always wanted them, but never did until she showed up. It was pretty amazing timing too, I had been actually been thinking about getting some the week before, this was just my excuse lol. Her name is Wynnie. I thought she was a hen when I caught her, but 2 weeks before I got more it seemed like she was a cock. I put a mirror in there and she did the classic tail swoop, neck poof and coo and everything. Well, she is now mated to my grizzle cock and laid eggs xD
The pied blue bar is Emric. I had originally been told he was a female, and picked him as a mate for Wynnie (this was when I thought Wynnie was a cock). Well now I'm having second thoughts, because he keeps trying to woo my grizzle female. The other cock gets jealous tho and chases him around whenever Emric tries to dance around, which is probably why I haven't noticed it before now.
As we were leaving the breeder with Emric, I noticed the grizzle pair for sale too and just had to have them. So I bought them xD. They were a mated pair. They are Tempest (m) and Eclipse (f). after I had had them for about 3 weeks, they made a nest. Long story short, he changed his mind and traded Eclipse in for Wynnie (which is when I found out she was definitely a she), but since he had already bred Eclipse they both ended up laying 2 eggs each. 2 broke, and 1 stopped developing in the last week. Now I have Haiku who is from Eclipse/Tempest. This photo is the most recent I have, but it was taken 5 days ago. Haiku has a lot more head feathers now and I actually found him on the floor today, looking very annoyed. Story is very complicated, I know, but oh well xD
IMG_7908.jpeg
IMG_7921.jpeg
IMG_7923.jpeg
IMG_7920.jpeg
IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_8643.jpeg

but I get them the mineral bricks.
I do to. I just get a hatchet and take a chunk off. :)
Is there a different brand you'd suggest for ones that aren't flown?
honestly, I can't think of one. But anything with about 13% protein is good for your needs! A pigeons diet is only as complicated as you make it. Ferals thrive on soy beans, wheat and corn fields and racers thrive on feed that's 2 dollars a pound. Do what works for you. If someone says your doing it wrong, think about it, try it, and decide what works best.

Well, I can't figure out how to do the new photo system...
It is a glitch with BYC. I post quite a bit of photos lately, and have been getting same result as you did. I then went to "edit" and reattached same photos second time. They were there when I clicked save, in edited version.

Then I do more posts with attached photos, at a different time, and all goes well. :idunno
Conclusion,,,,,,, it is a glitch, that may get worked out/corrected by BYC IT staff.

Just keep doing the attachments as you were before, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it does't.

I had the same thing happen when I used the method floppysquirrel04 explained.
So then I had to go to the "Edit option" , and corrected that way.

Brand isn't going to make much difference. Nowadays the biggest problem is finding any pigeon feed in a given area. It's not like it used to be years ago when you could buy it all over the place. $30... well you do live in California, so that could be a normal price for all I know. Try looking into Leach grain and milling. They are located in California and make a lot of different pigeon mixes. They might have a distributor in your area. I really don't know what other brands you have available over on the west coast. Over here in the northeast it's Brown's, Lizzie Mae, Purgrain, and Baden out of Canada, but I don't think they distribute to your coast. I know in recent years some have started importing the Versele Laga feed from Europe and selling it here... but that's not going to be a cheaper option for you. Maybe someone from California can chime in and say what they use out there.

Back
Top Bottom