Pigeon feeding and nesting question

EggHunter_66

Songster
13 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Box Springs,Georgia
I have two pigeons that I inquired because they got injured, one from a local animal control and the other from someone who found it injured on the street and didnt know what to do with it. I had no idea of their sexes and I even posted my 1st one on here asking and thats when i found out its hard to tell cause some people said it was a female and others male...lol. Well, when I got my second one again I had no idea what it was until now. Just this week a nest was made and my 1st pigeon laid an egg! So now I know I have a pair. My question is, during this time and after egg hatches {if it hatches cause they are 2 different species of pigeon} do I need to feed them any kind of special food? And once the egg hatches do I need to do anything special? I am use to hatching chickens not pigeons!
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Toot toot and Macon.jpg

I have two pigeons that I inquired because they got injured, one from a local animal control and the other from someone who found it injured on the street and didnt know what to do with it. I had no idea of their sexes and I even posted my 1st one on here asking and thats when i found out its hard to tell cause some people said it was a female and others male...lol. Well, when I got my second one again I had no idea what it was until now. Just this week a nest was made and my 1st pigeon laid an egg! So now I know I have a pair. My question is, during this time and after egg hatches {if it hatches cause they are 2 different species of pigeon} do I need to feed them any kind of special food? And once the egg hatches do I need to do anything special? I am use to hatching chickens not pigeons!
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 1260598

The parents will feed the babies. During the first week they will receive 'crop milk'. Very important to their development.

How long ago was the egg laid? They usually produce a second egg a day or so later.

After about one week, the mom and dad pigeon, feed crop milk mixed with regurgitated seeds. Have pigeon feed (preferred) or bird seed (second choice) available. Have plenty of clean water around as well. They usually hatch in 19 days or so.
WISHING YOU BEST....... :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom