pigeon & quail together?

ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
I am tossin around the idea of raising two pair of pigeons and on the floor of the pen run a handful of coturnix quail.

Is there any disease issues with these guys? Like i know not to keep quail and chickens together.

My idea being the cots would help cleanup spilled feed (pigeon feed up high) and have a small feeder for them down on the floor because i know cots need high protien feed.

And entertaining the idea of letting the pigeons brood out a few cots eggs. I know they would need to be taken from the nest soon as they hatched to keep the pigeons from tryin to force feed em or the chicks wanderin and falling from the nest etc. But it would be a nice steady supply of new cot layers or growout meaties. Since pigeon and cots incubate pretty much the same time.
And i was thinking since cots can be mean to unknown or new things that if i got real young cots or hatched some myself i could introduce em to the pigeons and they would hopefully get along fine.

Thanks!

I am tossin around the idea of raising two pair of pigeons and on the floor of the pen run a handful of coturnix quail.

Is there any disease issues with these guys? Like i know not to keep quail and chickens together.

My idea being the cots would help cleanup spilled feed (pigeon feed up high) and have a small feeder for them down on the floor because i know cots need high protien feed.

And entertaining the idea of letting the pigeons brood out a few cots eggs. I know they would need to be taken from the nest soon as they hatched to keep the pigeons from tryin to force feed em or the chicks wanderin and falling from the nest etc. But it would be a nice steady supply of new cot layers or growout meaties. Since pigeon and cots incubate pretty much the same time.
And i was thinking since cots can be mean to unknown or new things that if i got real young cots or hatched some myself i could introduce em to the pigeons and they would hopefully get along fine.

Thanks!

I've successfully housed button quail with doves. Pigeons aren't any different. Make sure to give the cots plenty of hiding places in case they feel the need to get away from the flying birds.

Keep good records and take the eggs away from the pigeons before they hatch or else you can get quail chicks injuring themselves as they fall from the high nests.

Back
Top Bottom