Pile O' Chicks??? Haha

ChickyMama1220

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2015

Anyone else have a flock that piles together at night?? Any reason why?

P.S thats 12 chicks lol....

Too cold. If they don't have free access to a spot with closed walls at the bottom they need some. If they do and they are still huddled near the open wire like that you need to find out what is wrong with the sheltered spot that is making them prefer to freeze

I would guess its more of a comfort thing than warmth. Mine are 19wks and they have a 5ft long roost and all sleep on the first 18" of the roost. They like the feel safe factor of being close.

I have two small flocks of 6 and 9 twelve week old chicks. They piled together at night in their coop, they just become a bundle. It is hot in their coop even with the fan on so it is definitely not an issue of being cold. I believe it is for safety, they feel safer becoming a pile because they will have more chances of surviving if they were to be attacked. All my chicks roost later when they get older, yours will eventually do it when they get over their "chickhood".

Those are good thoughts.. Yea i dont think its a temp thing. Its hot as hell here lol
What do you alls roosts look like? I need ideas...

Babies pile, young adults start roosting, I have sanded 2x4 boards with the 2 facing up for roosts, though I have used branches and dowels they seem to prefer the 2x4.

Back
Top Bottom