Pilgrim Geese

Linda Hicks

Chirping
Mar 19, 2018
Looking for a farm or flock in the Colorado area that would like to buy a 3 year old mated pair of Pilgrim geese. $30 for the pair which includes food. The goose is a great egg layer with no problems in laying.

I’ve suggested that your thread be moved to the forum most likely to yield responses.

@Miss Lydia I believe you have some geese. How do they do with the rest of the birds? I have been wanting geese, but I'm nervous about mixing them in with my ducks and chickens.
They do not have a flock now and have never been in one except as babes. This would be a good time to introduce slowly as there is no aggression due to hormones of breeding which is in February . Chickens have gotten onto the property and there was no response from them. I think if you kept them in a specific area and let the chickens and ducks come up to them you could tell how they would react. The female is very shy. The male guards her.

Last edited:
My youngest goose she Is 7 grew up with chickens and ducks. My oldest goose was here 2 yrs before he met chickens (12) but was hatched and raised by Muscovy. Both tolerate the other birds except during breeding season. They have their own house too. During breeding season they get ornery and have never hurt any one but boy they sure do threaten too. They are not penned at all my birds have a little over half acre to be on. Not sure it would work out with them all penned.

My youngest goose she Is 7 grew up with chickens and ducks. My oldest goose was here 2 yrs before he met chickens (12) but was hatched and raised by Muscovy. Both tolerate the other birds except during breeding season. They have their own house too. During breeding season they get ornery and have never hurt any one but boy they sure do threaten too. They are not penned at all my birds have a little over half acre to be on. Not sure it would work out with them all penned.

Right now the chickens have their own coop and run, the ducks have a coop and run, then there is a larger area fenced around everything where they can go out together and forage or swim. So no one HAS to be together, but it’s nice when I can let them out together. For the geese they would probably have access to the larger area all the time so they can eat grass. I just don’t know if they can all mingle at times? I like to let everyone out together in the evenings for a few hours before it’s time to roost.

The geese probably need their own protected area at night due to predators. They only get possessive of their area when they are breeding. I don't see a problem especially if they are the only geese. Maybe we are even overthinking the what ifs. Right now they are on an acre with a pool and at night they have a large kennel with an attached coop. The kennel is completely predator proof and they stay outside at night....sometimes they will go inside. They eat their food at night. They are like watchdogs but only make noise if someone has invaded the property.

The geese probably need their own protected area at night due to predators. They only get possessive of their area when they are breeding. I don't see a problem especially if they are the only geese. Maybe we are even overthinking the what ifs. Right now they are on an acre with a pool and at night they have a large kennel with an attached coop. The kennel is completely predator proof and they stay outside at night....sometimes they will go inside. They eat their food at night. They are like watchdogs but only make noise if someone has invaded the property.

Thank you for all this info!

Still mulling this over. Please don't wait on me if you have another buyer. Good news is that when I talked to my husband about it, instead of saying no, he said hmm, we're going to have to fence the rest of the yard. :lau

Back
Top Bottom