Pilgrim vs Embden

Yes. Its actually very easy. Male embdens are totally white. Pilgrim ganders always white with some grey, most commonly under the wings.

You can see a bit of the grey peeking out on my Pilgrim gander Cirrus here.

One of the other differences I have noticed is that the embdens have much more of a ripply neck. Its not a big difference unless you are familiar with them. The grey on the Pilgrim ganders is the clearest way to tell the difference. The Pilgrims always have some color. Here is a picture of the embdens I used to have. You can see they are pure white and the neck feathers very rippled in lines.

Yes. Its actually very easy. Male embdens are totally white. Pilgrim ganders always white with some grey, most commonly under the wings. You can see a bit of the grey peeking out on my Pilgrim gander Cirrus here. One of the other differences I have noticed is that the embdens have much more of a ripply neck. Its not a big difference unless you are familiar with them. The grey on the Pilgrim ganders is the clearest way to tell the difference. The Pilgrims always have some color. Here is a picture of the embdens I used to have. You can see they are pure white and the neck feathers very rippled in lines.
Thanks for the reply! I guess i have an embden then. Ive had embdens in the past ans they were much bigger than my male now. I bought him being told he was a pilgrim but oh well. :)

Thanks for the reply! I guess i have an embden then. Ive had embdens in the past ans they were much bigger than my male now. I bought him being told he was a pilgrim but oh well.
smile.png
Alot of people don't know the difference in breeds. I have an Embden gander I love that ornery fellow.

Thanks for the reply! I guess i have an embden then. Ive had embdens in the past ans they were much bigger than my male now. I bought him being told he was a pilgrim but oh well.
smile.png

Embdens usually are bigger but there is a size range for every breed. Embdens are listed as 15 to 20 pounds. Pilgrims are listed as 13 to 15 pounds. A large Pilgrim and a smallish Embden could very well be the same size. The Pilgrim will always be white but have some grey. Embdens should be all white.

I guess mine is an embden gander then. He and my pilgrim goose had their first goslings and I just happened to buy 3 back recently. I was anxious to see how they turned out. All 3 are as white as can be. At first I thought they had bits of color but it was just dirt. When I had them as goslings it looked to be only 2 males...the rest had a bit of color. THAT'S WHAT MADE ME SUSPICIOUS, does not appear that the off-spring are gender ID. Of course the 3 young GEESE I just got back aren't mature yet so...time will tell. pictures are the goslings from the pilgrims/or pilgrim & Embden. Look at the last picture, it has movement, see if you think he is pilgrim or embden?

Attachments

• geese April (14).JPG
    geese April (14).JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 48
  • geese April (13).JPG
    geese April (13).JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 47
  • #IMG_9860_Moment(2).jpg
    #IMG_9860_Moment(2).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
I guess mine is an embden gander then. He and my pilgrim goose had their first goslings and I just happened to buy 3 back recently. I was anxious to see how they turned out. All 3 are as white as can be. At first I thought they had bits of color but it was just dirt. When I had them as goslings it looked to be only 2 males...the rest had a bit of color. THAT'S WHAT MADE ME SUSPICIOUS, does not appear that the off-spring are gender ID. Of course the 3 young GEESE I just got back aren't mature yet so...time will tell. pictures are the goslings from the pilgrims/or pilgrim & Embden. Look at the last picture, it has movement, see if you think he is pilgrim or embden?
Any update pictures of those babies? Did they auto sex ?

Back
Top Bottom