pink silkies

Quote:
I like that idea.
lol.png

Nice try, but does not work with chickens.

what if you fed a white silkie alot of corn?...

Quote:
Nice try, but does not work with chickens.

I was told it can give them a yellowish tint to them. When I had light brahmas I fed them whole corn, and their lay mash had corn in it, they never turned yellow.

Quote:

I was told it can give them a yellowish tint to them. When I had light brahmas I fed them whole corn, and their lay mash had corn in it, they never turned yellow.

my grama feeds corn and layer to her white laying hen there still white

Quote:

I know from years of raising beef cattle that all corn does in cattle is add fat. That's why steers are fed out in the last 3 months or so on corn. It adds marbleing to the muscle which is fat. If you didn't have a certain amount of fat your steaks would be dry and tough. Too much corn = too much fat. At least in cattle. I have had 100% grass fed beef and it is just as juicy and good as a corn fed steer.

Quote:

I know from years of raising beef cattle that all corn does in cattle is add fat. That's why steers are fed out in the last 3 months or so on corn. It adds marbleing to the muscle which is fat. If you didn't have a certain amount of fat your steaks would be dry and tough. Too much corn = too much fat. At least in cattle. I have had 100% grass fed beef and it is just as juicy and good as a corn fed steer.

ya i just mentioned it cause people were asking how to get a yellow silkie and everyone tells me corn makes white chickens yellow

Quote:
Mahogany plus lav/lav I have a project, but am at F1. There are threads on The Coop (where all the folks really knowledgeable on chicken genetics hang out (including those on BYC), and the optimism on whether it will work or not is quite mixed.

that's true Old Friend.. I am one of them that thinks it can be possible

Quote:
there are 2 routes to obtain a Pinkish/peach colored Silkie, both are NOT easy and will take Years of breeding...

First Route is add lavender to a Very Dark Red colored Silkie, why well Lavender Dilute buff columbian to a peachy color, now the help of Mahogany this peach color can be enhanced a lot..

Here is a Buff Columbian Bird with Lavender, now by adding Mahogany to this mix one could end up with a Rich Peachy color...
Lavenderbuffcolumbian.jpg

Show Quality RIR..
31282_2010_1107brroos9-23-100091.jpg

Ok that was one of the Route..

Now comes the Second one.. if one could work with the Natural Salmon/Pinkish color of a Wheaten hen and add the Hen Feathering gene so Roos can also have that look, one could have a nice color.. I believe this Natural Soft Salmon color can only be produce based on the Genotype of Salmon Faveroles, how is that? well they are Silver(S) not gold(s+) they are also Wheaten(eWh) and Mahogany(you can see it in the boys red shoulders) all of that adds up to a nice Salmon colored hen and if Hen feathering is add it the boys can also look like it..
SalmonFaverolles.jpg

at the end you could end up with Cotton Candy looking Bird(thanks to the Silkie feathers)
pinkpullets.jpg

Good luck, if you need some genetic help just PM and I'll help you out...
tongue.png

Last edited:
These pink Silkies are a remarkable color! So why is there just this one picture of them? If I had pink Silkies I would plaster pics of them all over BYC!

Quote:
they are a work in progress, I am trying to find the source of the Salmon silkie and I'll post more pics if I find them..

here is Dan P recent work on Champagne(columbian+lavender) one can enhance that color by introducing Mahogany to it
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom