Pink spot on Silkie

Breeds that are supposed to have black skin can sometimes have light spots. As long as the spot looks healthy, it is probably just different-colored skin and nothing to worry about.

Different colored skin doesn't hurt the chicken, which can still live a nice healthy life.

But I don't recommend entering that chicken in a show, and if you want to breed good quality Silkies you should avoid breeding from that one. (Breeding to produce pets should be fine.)

358D8468-0DEF-49C6-A80E-1CD5C3B36846.jpeg

Breeds that are supposed to have black skin can sometimes have light spots. As long as the spot looks healthy, it is probably just different-colored skin and nothing to worry about.

Different colored skin doesn't hurt the chicken, which can still live a nice healthy life.

But I don't recommend entering that chicken in a show, and if you want to breed good quality Silkies you should avoid breeding from that one. (Breeding to produce pets should be fine.)
Ok thank you! I was worried it wasn’t a full silkie or could have something wrong with it. Glad to know. Ugh that’s disappointing. I’ll probably end up keeping him/her anyway

Yes, that photo looks like it's just missing some pigment-- a bit like how some dogs have bits of white on their feet or chests, even when their breed is not "supposed" to have white spots.

it shouldn't hurt the chick at all.

The pale spot may change size and shape as the chick grows, or it may not. I've never watched one carefully enough to know for sure.

Yes, that photo looks like it's just missing some pigment-- a bit like how some dogs have bits of white on their feet or chests, even when their breed is not "supposed" to have white spots.

it shouldn't hurt the chick at all.

The pale spot may change size and shape as the chick grows, or it may not. I've never watched one carefully enough to know for sure.
Ok thank you!

Back
Top Bottom