Pinning down a rooster - does it work?

I did a recovery project with an aggressive roo.

1, they are his hens now.
2, do not give ground. Do not back away, do not walk around either him or the hens. That puts you below the hens in the hierarchy. If he walks toward you, walk straight through him. Make him get out of your way. Establish your dominance in chicken. He doesn't understand human behavior.
3, do not hunch over (chicken posture) spread your "wings" or stare him down. He will take this as a challenge.
4, and I know a lot of people won't agree, talk to him about what you're doing. Explain, wait for him to calm down, and continue with what you need to do.

I did a recovery project with an aggressive roo.

1, they are his hens now.
2, do not give ground. Do not back away, do not walk around either him or the hens. That puts you below the hens in the hierarchy. If he walks toward you, walk straight through him. Make him get out of your way. Establish your dominance in chicken. He doesn't understand human behavior.
3, do not hunch over (chicken posture) spread your "wings" or stare him down. He will take this as a challenge.
4, and I know a lot of people won't agree, talk to him about what you're doing. Explain, wait for him to calm down, and continue with what you need to do.
Thanks, this is great. No, I don't think that talking to him is weird - I was actually thinking that if I just chatted away, like I normally do, it would keep the peace.

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. I'll read the article, and hopefully things work out. I was doing a chicken checkup and picking up the hens when he attacked.

I've noticed that my hens that were easy to grab and liked being held are now skittish. Does this have to do with their new flock leader?
Put your rooster up when you do inspections to prevent attacks. The squawks from my hens causes both of my roosters to come running.I put mine up when I do inspections but I raised mine from chicks.Avoiding handling the hens is the easiest way to gain his trust but once they start its often hard to stop

I would suggest killing any rooster who is acting aggressively towards you. You do not want to breed a human-aggressive rooster, as his offspring have a very likely chance of getting his unwanted personality passed down. I have seen where sitting on a rooster helps with training him to be friendly, but sometimes the male is simply too hormonal to care about whether you are trying to be more dominant than him.

Back
Top Bottom