Piperazine deworming concern with 6 month old rooster ***warning!! WORM PICS***

keesha63

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Hawkestone, Ontario Canada
I have a 6 month old Polish Roo that became unsteady on his feet over the past 3-4 weeks. His legs appeared to be getting weaker. He was in a coop with a few Silkies and was getting his crest plucked so I removed him and brought him in the house. I have tried various treatments during the last 3 weeks to try to deal with his leg issues. High dosages of B vitamins, poly vi sol, nutradrench, hypericum and turmeric. His eating was hit and miss, some days he would eat nothing, other days he would eat well. Now the strange thing was the day after starting the turmeric he passed a large round worm. He had been in the house for 2 1/2 weeks and his droppings have been normal prior. I had not dewormed him yet because he had been outside for a total of about 3 weeks by this point, having been in a crate in the house up until that point. I assumed (obviously wrongly) that he would not have worms yet. The day he passed the worm I immediately started Piperazine x 8 hrs in his water (that was 5 days ago on Sunday) the day after he ate well and passed no worms. Tuesday he ate poorly and was hunched down. His dropping seemed to have more lining than usual and small amount of blood. I put him on Corid in case it was the start of cocci. Wednesday he started passing worms. Each dropping was watery (not eating) and had 2-3 large round worms in it. He is still acting very unwell, standing hunched and extremely resistant to syringe feeding. Yesterday still passing worms with every dropping. Same today...it's 11:30 a.m. and he's already passed 4 large worms. Only thing he will eat is cucumber, not drinking well. Is that usual with using Piperazine...to be passing worms still 5 days later? All were not moving except for one. I was planning on using something stronger after 10 days. Suggestions (I am in Canada btw) The first pic was from today the second was from Sunday when he was still eating well.

You could try Safeguard horse paste, or maybe human pinworm medication (pyrantel pamoate). In the US it's called something like Reese's?

-Kathy

Right now he seems quite unwell though. It's been 5 days since the Piperazine dosing...should I wait for a bit to see if he gets stronger before I dose him with something stronger?

No he's not drinking very well most days either. When he was having a good day other than his balance being off you would not know anything was wrong. On a bad day is head is pulled into his shoulders and tail touching the floor. He has no interest in food or water. He was bouncing back and forth between good and bad days until I dewormed him...now it's been 4 bad days in a row. I managed to syringe feed him about 1/2 oz of kaytee baby bird food. He was interested in the mini cucumber so he ate about 1/2 of one I put down for him and a few tiny pieces of watermelon but that's it. He's really difficult to syringe feed because he fights it! I felt his crop tonight and I could actually feel it which was better than yesterday when it was completely empty.

Sorry forgot to mention his weight... I think he's lost weight but he's always been a thin bird. He was the runt which I bought when he was 6 weeks. At 7 weeks I noticed he seemed very thin so worked on increasing his intake by wetting food, adding corn meal and vitamins. His centre toes started to twist sideways both feet for some reason and his balance was a little off. He did okay in the main coop but due to his unsteadiness he was picked on by the others. His crest was picked several times. I noticed he did a huge growth spurt the first week of Dec and became more unsteady so I brought him in. He got worse over Christmas and appeared to be weak in both legs somewhat. Then the worm thing....so I am not sure what's up but yes he's fairly thin right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom