Pipped from bottom

Mikeykeb

Hatching
Sep 12, 2023
Hi all I’m new to this site and new to hatching chicks, I have silkie eggs on day 21 almost 22. One hatched this morning two others pipped 24 hours ago and two showing nothing. One of the pipped ones is still trying but the one that pipped from the bottom seems to have given up beak is out but has not moved in hours. Any suggestions on what I need to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpeg
    IMG_2162.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 15
This isn’t the article I was looking for but... it appears to be helpful....

A maplopsitioned baby can take up to 72 hours to hatch, and losses are, unfortunately, much more likely.

I’m having a tough time seeing the pip in the photos.
Has it cracked the shell to the point that it is able to breathe? As in, can you tell that both the internal and external layers are open enough that the baby can get air - as it doesn’t have the benefit of the air cell?

If not, personally, I would intervene as little as possible but enough to make sure the baby can get oxygen.
It is very dicey to do on a malpositioned baby if it hasn’t already done most of the job- there is not a lot of room between baby and the shell.

Hopefully the shell and membrane are open
If not, hopefully it’s cracked enough that you can use a fingernail to pop a tiny piece of shell off, some sharp tweezers to grab the membrane and just tear it a tiny bit, a q tip w some coconut oil (or Vaseline) to lubricate the membrane, and pop it back in the bator.

Gather your tools first and you won’t have it out of the bator more than a minute. Everyone will be ok.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

How did it go, did you assist it? I've had to do a few times but you need to read up carefully otherwise you could cause a haemorrhage and kill the chick. Alot of people don't agree with assisting as they will probably be weak chickens but I have 2 hens I assisted this year now laying everyday and looking beautiful.

I've had this happen with me in my first hatch-
What I did was also quickly and carefully hand turn the pipped egg a little to the upper side... that seemed to help them pip and zip the rest of the egg, but once you open the incubator you gotta keep an eye on the humidity and make sure it's not below 65%

For how long has the egg been like this? ... if there's no progress after many hours I would also try assist by opening just a a bit of the pipped part, but I would suggest reading the link @HeritageFan shared, it's really useful

Good luck, your chicks are almost here! :fl:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom