Pipped on wrong end :(

CrzyChknLdy82

Chirping
Aug 29, 2020
This little one pipped last night around 10pm on the narrow end. At first the membrane was pure white now it looks a bit brownish which I would expect from a non-air pocket pip.. I can see the beak poke out slightly from time to time and can hear it peeping so it's getting some air..

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that all is well and is there anything I need to watch for specifically?

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_102013.jpg
    IMG_20200829_102013.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 62
A wrong end pip is both an internal and external pip, so it could take up to 48 hours for it to zip. A lot of chicks that pip on the wrong end make it out fine, but keep in mind that it could be more difficult to get out because it’s the small end of the egg, so be prepared to assist if the chick is struggling. With the membrane changing color I would keep an eye on it and make sure it isn’t drying out.

A wrong end pip is both an internal and external pip, so it could take up to 48 hours for it to zip. A lot of chicks that pip on the wrong end make it out fine, but keep in mind that it could be more difficult to get out because it’s the small end of the egg, so be prepared to assist if the chick is struggling. With the membrane changing color I would keep an eye on it and make sure it isn’t drying out.
Thanks!! Probably dumb question but how can you tell if the membrane is too dry and needs to be moistened? Will opening the bator to do that compromise the other 2 (which are currently both pipped and on the correct end)?

If there’s moisture visible on the membrane it’s fine. If you’re worried you can put a little coconut oil or triple antibiotic on the visible part of the membrane. If you do open the incubator make sure you’re quick about it and have a way to get the humidity back up quickly so none of the others dry out. A wet paper towel usually works pretty well.

If there’s moisture visible on the membrane it’s fine. If you’re worried you can put a little coconut oil or triple antibiotic on the visible part of the membrane. If you do open the incubator make sure you’re quick about it and have a way to get the humidity back up quickly so none of the others dry out. A wet paper towel usually works pretty well.
Thanks!! I'll be keeping a close eye on it through the evening/night. It's been about 17 hours since pip

Just had a polish that pipped in the middle. Was the last to hatch and was a bloody mess. I cam in to see its egg split down the middle and what looks like a horror show of blood. Lil guy (or girl) is doing great though. Just stood there lookin at me like.. you gonna clean this up or what.

The hardest part in hatching is restraining myself from helping when it takes longer than 24 hours to hatch. Just gotta remember they're still in there for a reason. I had a liege fighter that was being a lazy butt after 48 hours. I went to take off some shell to see what was up and accidentally started a little blood. I was surprised that it still had unabsorbed material. I left it alone for another 24 hours and then go the little bugger out. It had a little piece of inner shell stuck its face and wing keeping it from moving. A total of 36 hours trying to hatch. Still going strong.

Since the hatches took so long, I make scrambled eggs and jam it into a syringe and then squeeze it out in front of them like a worm to get them interested. Eggs are great for bringing back lazy chicks.

Update!!

This morning she hadn't made any progress in 24 hours still pecking at the same spot (32 hours had passed since first pip), obviously stuck in position. The second of the other 2 had hatched so I removed her and the struggling egg, and gave a small assist. All I did was remove a few small pieces of shell around the pip to widen the area of visible membrane, which I moistened slightly. Put back in the incubator. We checked again a few hours later and there she was hanging out in the incubator!! ❤️❤️❤️ She's now resting in the brooder with her 2 siblings IMG_20200830_104224.jpg

Update!!

This morning she hadn't made any progress in 24 hours still pecking at the same spot (32 hours had passed since first pip), obviously stuck in position. The second of the other 2 had hatched so I removed her and the struggling egg, and gave a small assist. All I did was remove a few small pieces of shell around the pip to widen the area of visible membrane, which I moistened slightly. Put back in the incubator. We checked again a few hours later and there she was hanging out in the incubator!! ❤❤❤ She's now resting in the brooder with her 2 siblingsView attachment 2313078
Congratulations!!

Back
Top Bottom