Pipped, Zipped, and Shrink Wrapped?

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
First time incubating turkey eggs, wasnt expecting them for a few more days, this is day 25. Humidity has been at 50.
Surprised to see a poult flopping around! And a second one pipped. So I quickly turned off the turner, but forgot about raising the humidity too.

So it's been a few hours and this little guy was all zipped (on the wrong end) but the pieces of membrane between each beak mark looked like it was holding him in. I read about the importance of waiting, and I read about trusting your gut and helping, so I decided to check and sure enough, those strips were dried out and TOUGH! I had to carefully, gently, slowly, snip a few, but left the back 1/3 attached. I set him back in on a damp paper towel to see if he can finish up unassisted.

Any advice? Does this mean the unhatched eggs might be shrink wrapped too? I've got the humidity up to 75-80 now. Did I just screw up by "helping"?
20210524_201233.jpg

Baby is out now, by himself with no further help.
How long can you leave them in the incubator after hatching? Is it the same as for chicks?

Last edited:
I have had hatch 3 days early under different hens and different incubators. With the humidity raised the rest should be good
They can stay in same as chicks. But they go bowling with the other eggs so most remove as they dry if no pipping or zipping

First time incubating turkey eggs, wasnt expecting them for a few more days, this is day 25. Humidity has been at 50.
Surprised to see a poult flopping around! And a second one pipped. So I quickly turned off the turner, but forgot about raising the humidity too.

So it's been a few hours and this little guy was all zipped (on the wrong end) but the pieces of membrane between each beak mark looked like it was holding him in. I read about the importance of waiting, and I read about trusting your gut and helping, so I decided to check and sure enough, those strips were dried out and TOUGH! I had to carefully, gently, slowly, snip a few, but left the back 1/3 attached. I set him back in on a damp paper towel to see if he can finish up unassisted.

Any advice? Does this mean the unhatched eggs might be shrink wrapped too? I've got the humidity up to 75-80 now. Did I just screw up by "helping"?View attachment 2687043

Baby is out now, by himself with no further help.
How long can you leave them in the incubator after hatching? Is it the same as for chicks?
Congratulations! 🥳
Good luck with your baby's.

Back
Top Bottom