Pipping on day 17????

Rorporp23

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Eastern Washington
I set 9 eggs on Tuesday, April 23. Today is supposed to be day 17 (lockdown is tomorrow). I heard chirping coming from the bator about 10 minutes ago. No pips yet, but there are definitely some babies working on it.

This has definitely been an abnormal batch.

On the day that I set the eggs I candled to see which ones I would set. 3 or 4 had a weird mass in them (almost like the start of an embryo) but I had no clue what it was so I set them anyways. 2 days in, they were showing signs of day 4 veins, while the others had the mass of embryonic cells. One of these 4 early growers is now internally pipped and has been talking for about 10 minutes. How did these eggs progress faster/start earlier?

The temperature has been between 100 and 102 (really high, I know) for a majority of the incubation period, HOWEVER, last night a car hit the telephone pole by our house and knocked out the power, and setting off the circuit (turning off the bator). I woke up this morning to 75 degree bator and eggs. I turned it back on and got it back to 100 ASAP but I doubted many of the chicks had survived the night. And now one is hatching??? Is this possible?

High incubation temp causes early hatches and is not a good thing

it can cause all sorts of deformities

yours at 100 to 102 is way too high

it should be at 99.5 constant

with the temp you had your aprox 4 days early

1/2 deg is about 1 day deviation

My internal thermometer (spring thermometer inserted into a water squishy thing) reads 99.5 all the time, but my digital has been fluctuating quite a bit. I don't trust it as much as my spring. It has only been at 102 for a few days, the weather here jumped to 90 and the incubator went with it :/

I hope nothing is too damaged.

Back
Top Bottom