Plan to Care For Picked On Bird

jmpurser

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Tacoma, WA
Hello,

I've got a flock of 10 hens, mostly Orpingtons with one (I think) RI Red in a 300 sq ft chicken yard. One of the Buff Orpingtons is just getting hammered. Feathers are nearly completely gone from her shoulders and head and my Jennie saw some blood on her shoulder today. The only chicken I've seen really picking on her is the Black (probably) Orpington. She stalks the buff, chases her, pecks her, mounts her, and in general just bullies the hell out of her.

I've moved the injured Buff and one other Buff who was also missing most of her head feathers into a tractor to give them some peace and let them heal. They've settled in nicely and the main chicken yard seems to be peaceful as well now. I know this is backwards but this girl was really looking frazzled and I wanted to let her recover for a week or so before she goes back into Gen Pop.

When I return the Buffs to the yard I'll grab the Black and put her in Siberia for a while and then re-introduce her. From what I've read here this is the "normal" way to handle a bully bird.

If any experience Chickeneers just face planted I'd like to hear from you. Does this plan seem reasonable given the circumstances?

And thanks for all the help I've received on these pages. I've got my diatomaceous earth and oyster shell downstairs and I've stopped regularly feeding corn thanks to what I've learned here.

If it were me, and there was only one bully, I'd remove the bully.

And sell her at auction. (Been there, done that!)

But if you want to keep her, then removing her from the flock does lower her on the pecking order, at least temporarily.

But I just reread your post. You mentioned blood. Yes, it is good to get a bloody chicken out of there so you don't have cannibalism starting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom