Segregation within the flock?

Mae98

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
Wondering if anyone has any insight for the segregation and aggression that is taking place in my flock. And towards one pullet specifically(Bean-sizzle). 8 chickens, all roughly 15-16 weeks old, and all have been together since they were about 1 week. 1 frizzle, 3 sizzle, two silkie show girls, and 2 silkies. Currently suspecting 2 of 8 are roosters. They get to free range between 3 large backyards, so space shouldn’t be the issue. They also do not showcase their aggressive behavior constantly. It will be a couple random times through out the day for seeming no reason.
The two silkie showgirls stay together, but I have witnessed them picking on my bullied pullet Bean.
2 of 3 sizzles are suspected Roos, one of the two Roos treats my bullied pullet well, the other roo roughly picks on her. (She seems to stay close to the one that treats her well) however, the rooster that does treat her well picks on the silkie showgirls. And the 1frizzle and 2 silkies don’t seem to get any attention from the other chickens, good or bad. They just seem to be followers. Looking for any answers or suggestions as this morning I went to check on my chickens and thought something took my bullied pullet as there were two separate small patches of her feathers in the yard. However, about 2 hours later we found her laying across the street in the neighbor yard, and I suspect one of the other chickens bullied her out. As soon as we rejoined her to the group one of the silkie showgirls pecked her in the face. No injuries or illness shown in my bullied pullet, she does tend to stay a little further from the flock though.

Photos for reference
Silkie showgirls (bully my pullet, Bean)
IMG_4499.jpeg IMG_4335.jpeg

Two Sizzle Roos (grey is nice to bullied pullet, but seen picking on lighter showgirl. Black picks on bullied pullet)
D7692D3E-12CB-462C-AE38-85A60A7AC460.jpeg IMG_4441.jpeg
Bullied pullet (picked on by showgirls and black roo)
IMG_4375.jpeg
IMG_4294.jpeg

As I post this I check on them and they are all together getting along. Could this just been all of them coming of age? Why are they so mean to that one pullet specifically?
IMG_4585.jpeg

Wondering if anyone has any insight for the segregation and aggression that is taking place in my flock. And towards one pullet specifically(Bean-sizzle). 8 chickens, all roughly 15-16 weeks old, and all have been together since they were about 1 week. 1 frizzle, 3 sizzle, two silkie show girls, and 2 silkies. Currently suspecting 2 of 8 are roosters. They get to free range between 3 large backyards, so space shouldn’t be the issue. They also do not showcase their aggressive behavior constantly. It will be a couple random times through out the day for seeming no reason.
The two silkie showgirls stay together, but I have witnessed them picking on my bullied pullet Bean.
2 of 3 sizzles are suspected Roos, one of the two Roos treats my bullied pullet well, the other roo roughly picks on her. (She seems to stay close to the one that treats her well) however, the rooster that does treat her well picks on the silkie showgirls. And the 1frizzle and 2 silkies don’t seem to get any attention from the other chickens, good or bad. They just seem to be followers. Looking for any answers or suggestions as this morning I went to check on my chickens and thought something took my bullied pullet as there were two separate small patches of her feathers in the yard. However, about 2 hours later we found her laying across the street in the neighbor yard, and I suspect one of the other chickens bullied her out. As soon as we rejoined her to the group one of the silkie showgirls pecked her in the face. No injuries or illness shown in my bullied pullet, she does tend to stay a little further from the flock though.

Photos for reference
Silkie showgirls (bully my pullet, Bean)
View attachment 3565989View attachment 3565991

Two Sizzle Roos (grey is nice to bullied pullet, but seen picking on lighter showgirl. Black picks on bullied pullet)
View attachment 3565995View attachment 3565996
Bullied pullet (picked on by showgirls and black roo)
View attachment 3566001View attachment 3566002
I am having a similar problem, all my chickens are pecking on one other hen the and took the feathers off the tail,, now she doesnt even sleep inside the coop anymore, what can I do?

Well you have to do something. Here are some ideas and some fallacies that will bite people.

Fallacies:
  • Being raised together will make for life long friends. It doesn't, has almost no influence on flock behavior.
  • Letting the birds out in a big space for a couple of hours a day, or once or twice a week will make up for too small of confinement.
  • There is a perfect way to raise roosters that will make for perfect gentlemen
  • Todays behavior in the flock is an indicator to next week's behavior, it often times is not.
  • Vinegar in the water is good for chickens
  • DE will prevent or cure parasites
  • More protien is always better

Things that help with flock dynamics:
  • Space - as in measured and calculated - but truthfully sometimes that won't work, if your flock is getting along you have enough space, and if they are not, you generally don't.
  • Problems that show up often times are due to chickens growing, what was enough space when chicks were small, often times is not enough space with birds get bigger.
  • Removing birds - some people remove the bully. If things relax, that is good. Some remove the victim. Sometimes you have a bird that just does not fit in a flock for whatever reason. IMO it is unkind to keep her for yourself, and she winds up taking a daily beating for that. When you remove birds, count heads - that is the number the chickens think will fit in the set up
  • Removing all of the roosters or most of the roosters. Often times people are sure that they can keep roosters, when it in reality just causes a lot of problems for the flock.
  • Add a lot of clutter to the run, saw horses, ladders, roosts, platforms, mini walls multiple feed stations that are out of sight. While it will look more crowded, often times it makes better use of the vertical space.
  • Pin less peepers have really helped a lot of people with a small flock
Thing is you need to change something, or this can get very ugly.

Mrs K
I

Back
Top Bottom