PLANTS POISONIOUS TO POULTRY

Hrm... from that list my chickens have eaten quite a number of these:

Bracken or Brake Fern (Pteridium aquilinum L.)
Buttercup (Ranunculus spp.)
Clover, Alsike & Other Clovers (Trifolium hybridum L. & other species)
Daffodil (Narcissus spp.)
Fireweed (Kochia scoparia L.)
Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea L.)
Larkspur (Delphinium spp.)
Lily-of-the-Valley (Convallaria majalis)

Luckily they havne't eaten enough to get sick and the rest is all gone.

There is a lot of clover in my lawn, but I'm not going to worry about it. The chicks have been eating it already and seem fine. I would be more concerned about the herbicides it would take to eradicate the clover.

Er, does TOXIC mean FATAL? Can chickens recover from any of these? Or do they all kill them?
hide.gif

Quote:
No, just means it will cause symptoms. They are fatal at different levels depending on the plant. My chicks ate a single flower of a Lily of the Valley plant and that knocked them out for two days (convulsions, coma, the works), but they recovered. In any poisoning you want to dilute the poision to a safe level... so give plenty of fluids.

So many of these plants make it on a list because of the poisoning of animals grazing of pasture that's under some kind of stress. Flooding, drought, and over-fertilizing can make the most appropriate and useful forage, toxic.

I find it interesting that this thread has posts showing that chickens have eaten things that did, indeed, cause symptoms and even death. With only a limited need to forage because of free-choice commercial feed and because chickens aren't really "grazing" animals, backyard flocks probably aren't too inclined to get such a load of toxic material that it makes them sick.

It doesn't help that we can't ask chickens if eating something gave them a stomach ache. Even if it causes lesions in their mouths and throats, we may not know. And, if they eat the toxic plant whenever they have a chance - we may not realize that it is really interfering with their production and health. Would it surprise us if they didn't have a clue, either??

Caution is called for and, certainly, giving a bored, penned chicken something toxic to peck at is not a good idea.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom