Plastic or metal?

I prefer a five gallon bucket for a waterer. I have used the galvanized waterer and it was expensive and corroded in no time. It went off with a load of scrap metal today but it was ready to go six months after I bought it. Plastic ones get brittle and break in no time. I do like the galvanized feeders and waterers that screw on quart jars for brooder use. As far as feeding the older chickens I use old pots and pans that would otherwise get scrapped. I plan to build a feeder that holds a full 50 pound bag and put in automatic waterers eventually.

Let me tell you the way to go. Get some old rain downspouts or some 6 inch pvc and a couple of elbows and mount it to the inside of the coop with one of the elbows on the outside of the coop. Put a pan or something under the other end in the coop and voila, you can pour their feed in without ever opening the door to the coop. We had a problem with loads of chickens crowding our feet when we tried to feed and this idea of mine has saved us from getting tripped and birds from getting squished. You can mount as many as you like depending on the size or your coop or make them whatever size you need them to be. Just throw an old coffee can over the exposed end outside the coop and you are good to go.

I use a plastic 4.5 gal plastic bucket for my waterer, it is siting in a heavy duty black plastic pan, I am using the 40 watt light bulb in the cinder block under the pan for a heater. This bulb is plugged into a "thermal cube". As for my feeder I have a 30 lbs capacity metal hanging feeder I picked up cheap due to an error in pricing.

Famer Mack
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom