Plastic or metal?

ORChick

Songster
12 Years
May 20, 2007
Oregon
Which do you prefer for feeders and waterers? And why? I was doing a bit of "research" at the farm store today, preparing for my new chicks coming in a couple of months, and was wondering what, besides price, are the pros and cons of each type. Thanks for any input.

I use metal waterers because I use water heater in the winter and the plastic waterers would melt. The metal corrodes but lasts a few years and is most resistant to breakage. The plastic does not corrode but can be more easily broken. I prefer the plastic because they are easier to clean and they are cheaper. I have metal feeders because thats what my feedstore carries and have had good luck with them.

Plastic may not last as long as metal but you can use ACV in them where you shouldn't with metal. Plastic waterers will not freeze up as fast as metal ones will. I have frozen the white plastic ones with the red bases several times and they just bulge where metal will tear open under pressure.

Always, always, always go with the metal. In the long run it will save you lots of money. The plastic ones get brittle with sunlight and heat exposure and they crack if dropped, etc... We have galvanized feeders and waterers we have been using for 7 years!!

Man, you guys are quick! Thanks so much. My personal preference leans towards metal, but I was thinking that cider vinegar sounds like a good thing, from what I've read, and I know that shouldn't go in the metal. So, metal for the feeder, and still thinking about the waterer, I guess.

Quote:
show me that link girl......simple stupid is what I do best
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom