Play shed convert to a coop? (Pics)

psycache

Chirping
Dec 11, 2016
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi all,

been tortured with ideas on how to fit a coop in the yard, then wife pointed out we have two play sheds built by previous owner that are not being used.

What do people think? Any ideas and suggestions? The door frame is about 5 feet tall, facing South, ceiling edges are open for vent.

BB557F9D-4E29-4EBF-9CA7-9F906670F2C2.jpeg

55A59C29-1975-4F9F-9C61-C15F50DDE411.jpeg

E7914DB3-EEB0-466A-B81E-2AFEDEDD11D5.jpeg

D8945429-E974-4517-9657-AC4AEAF407F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Draft-free ventilation that doesn't let the rain in is key.

The higher the vents are located the better and you need 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized bird.

Or, the simpler, empirical test -- if you go on on a sunny day and it's hotter in than out then add more ventilation. :D

Draft-free ventilation that doesn't let the rain in is key.

The higher the vents are located the better and you need 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized bird.

Or, the simpler, empirical test -- if you go on on a sunny day and it's hotter in than out then add more ventilation. :D
Definitely doable. Somewhat visible in picture 2 and 3, at the ceiling edges, those are open. I was thinking of putting some chicken wires there for ventilation. Then I would put in a door with a window on the frame. The doorway is facing south by the way. Maybe two more windows, one on west and one on east side?

Last edited:
Definitely doable. Somewhat visible in picture 3 and 4, at the ceiling edges, those are open. I was thinking of putting some chicken wires there for ventilation. Then I would put in a door with a window on the frame. The doorway is facing south by the way. Maybe two more windows, one on west and one on east side?

IIRC, your climate is very hot in the summer but also gets significant winter snow, right?

In the summer the more open areas you can have the better. Heat is much more of a problem for chickens than cold is.

In the winter you'll still need ventilation to keep the coop dry and prevent frostbite, but without any breezes blowing on the roost.

Somewhat visible in picture 2 and 3, at the ceiling edges, those are open. I was thinking of putting some chicken wires there for ventilation.
Open soffits are good!
Use 1/2 Hardware Cloth instead of chicken wire.
Some pics on my coop page will show you one way to do it.

Any chance you can move these?
Is there space for an attached run?

Open soffits are good!
Use 1/2 Hardware Cloth instead of chicken wire.
Some pics on my coop page will show you one way to do it.

Any chance you can move these?
Is there space for an attached run?
Ok I will check it out. The door frame is facing south, I plan to create two external nesting boxes on the west, as well as an exit that would come out to a run onto the lawn. Why do you think?
00E9CCBE-FA5F-4D5F-803D-474CC686BE4C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom