Please any advice graphic pictures

Kitty2631

Chirping
Dec 18, 2022
Canada Bc Williams Lake.
Hello there everyone i have no idea if my rooster did this or not but it seems my hens skin is getting ripped off under her wing and im really scared and dont know what to do.
20230429_082610.jpg

Hello there everyone i have no idea if my rooster did this or not but it seems my hens skin is getting ripped off under her wing and im really scared and dont know what to do. View attachment 3486487
Could my rooster have done this? Should i cull him? Will she be okay? 😭 im going to seperate her for now but i just dont know what to do ive never had to deal with this before

Attachments

• 20230429_082610.jpg
    20230429_082610.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 4
I used to have this happen quite a bit with my previous rooster. It looks like his spur tore into her side when mating, it can look pretty bad with muscle and whatnot exposed but don’t panic! Rinse the wound with a saline rinse (put the mix in a ziploc and cut a hole in the corner if you don’t have a syringe for more precise aim into the wound) and apply an antibiotic ointment. In my experience hens heal from this type of injury very well and I’ve never had one get infected. You could either file his spurs or I have wrapped roosters spurs with duct tape because I was too nervous to file (if they bleed use blood stop powder or cornstarch). After I duct taped them this never happened again so hopefully that helps for you as well! He didn’t do it on purpose so there should be no reason to cull!

Just treat it like you would any wound, rinse and apply ointment. Keep an eye on it.
No need to cull your boy, he didn't do it on purpose. He just needs his spurs filed
They are pretty new chickens so their spurs arent super long or sharp yet would that still damage them? Should i seperate her from the whole flock or keep the hens and rooster seperate from her? I feel bad leaving her alone but i really dont want them to be tearing my hens apart 😭

I used to have this happen quite a bit with my previous rooster. It looks like his spur tore into her side when mating, it can look pretty bad with muscle and whatnot exposed but don’t panic! Rinse the wound with a saline rinse (put the mix in a ziploc and cut a hole in the corner if you don’t have a syringe for more precise aim into the wound) and apply an antibiotic ointment. In my experience hens heal from this type of injury very well and I’ve never had one get infected. You could either file his spurs or I have wrapped roosters spurs with duct tape because I was too nervous to file (if they bleed use blood stop powder or cornstarch). After I duct taped them this never happened again so hopefully that helps for you as well! He didn’t do it on purpose so there should be no reason to cull!
Im going to throw duct tape on their spurs but their spurs arent super long or sharp they are still teenagers id say would their spurs still be a issue or is it there nails maybe?

It could be spurs or nails, check them both and trim if needed. Young cockerels are often clumsy and rough, they haven't figured it all out yet and are operating mostly on raging hormones. He may settle down as he matures. If you can, separate him for a while, let him mature some and give the girls a break from his attention. How many hens do you have? Just the one boy?
If you have a wire crate, then you can put her in that with her own food and water and put it in the coop or run, where she can still see them and they can see her, but she can't be hurt more, and she can heal. That will be less stressful for her, and will make reintegrating her after easier.

It could be spurs or nails, check them both and trim if needed. Young cockerels are often clumsy and rough, they haven't figured it all out yet and are operating mostly on raging hormones. He may settle down as he matures. If you can, separate him for a while, let him mature some and give the girls a break from his attention. How many hens do you have? Just the one boy?
If you have a wire crate, then you can put her in that with her own food and water and put it in the coop or run, where she can still see them and they can see her, but she can't be hurt more, and she can heal. That will be less stressful for her, and will make reintegrating her after easier.
I have 5 beautiful hens and i do have 2 boys which i know its supposed to be like 10 hens for 1 rooster or something like that. Could that also be a part of the reason shes been torn up like that? Ive just raised them since they hatched with their mamas help so im super attached and i do love the boys but i could definitely let them go for my hens safety. Im just in a rough spot and have no idea what to do. 😭 i have 2 coops tho. One is basically a free range coop and the other coop is fenced with a wire fence. Ive put her in the fenced off coop with water and food and bedding and shes got quite a bit of room to roam too. The rooster and other hens can still see eachother. I did put another hen in there with her but i dont know if she absolutely needs the other hen in there with her i just didnt want her to get lonely lol my hens pull my heart strings 🤣🤣 i also didnt want to put the other hen in there in case she didnt want to be in there im just at a loss and my hearts too big for this lol i appreciate the help! 🥺

Back
Top Bottom