Please check my dose of Ivermectin for scale mites.

WilliamC

Songster
6 Years
Sep 5, 2017
Buff Orpington, 8.5 years old. Weight 5.5lbs
Ivermectin topical 5mg/ml
My calculations came out to .5ml. So half my 1ml syringe behind the neck.
Repeat every week or 2 weeks for a total of 3 doses?
Does this sound correct? I have read so much i am glazed over.

She is in pretty good health but as she is so old i want to make certain i am correct.

I am applying Vaseline to her legs as well and will be stripping her coop of everything and spraying it and her yard with Permethrin 10

Thanks!

We did our silkies with that and I took it from this site:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/04/29/ivermectin-for-parasite-control/

I used one eye dropper drop on the back of my silkies. I spread the feathers to get it on their skin. We did it at night in the coop, one at a time. We repeated it in 10 days. You'd need more than a drop. See the link. Good luck!

Ours are looking way better now. It's been about 3 weeks since their last treatment.

We did our silkies with that and I took it from this site:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/04/29/ivermectin-for-parasite-control/

I used one eye dropper drop on the back of my silkies. I spread the feathers to get it on their skin. We did it at night in the coop, one at a time. We repeated it in 10 days. You'd need more than a drop. See the link. Good luck!

Ours are looking way better now. It's been about 3 weeks since their last treatment.
Thank you!! So she comes to rounding up 2.5 kilos at a dose of .04ml/kilo equals .1ml. So if that is correct than i would be dosing way too much.

Last edited:
Thank you!! So she comes to rounding up 2.5 kilos at a dose of .04ml/kilo equals .1ml. So if that is correct than i would be dosing way too much.
Without doing the math as I sux at that, I just took this statement: So if your bird weighs 2 kilos the dosage would be just less than 2 drops!

My silkies weigh about 2-3 lbs, so about 1 kg, so they'd get 1 drop which is 0.05ml.

Your birds weigh twice what mine do, so wouldn't they get 2 drops? I mean, it's hard to use a dropper to do this if we had to break it down further. Then we'd need to get a little syringe that has ml lines on it.

Without doing the math as I sux at that, I just took this statement: So if your bird weighs 2 kilos the dosage would be just less than 2 drops!

My silkies weigh about 2-3 lbs, so about 1 kg, so they'd get 1 drop which is 0.05ml.

Your birds weigh twice what mine do, so wouldn't they get 2 drops? I mean, it's hard to use a dropper to do this if we had to break it down further. Then we'd need to get a little syringe that has ml lines on it.
I use a dosing syringe i got from my vet but any one without the needle would work.
The math throws me....always has so i read and read and read than by the end i am confused.

This is what i was using as directions
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544

She is 5.5 lbs so i was going with .5 ml as a max dose.

Last edited:
I use a dosing syringe i got from my vet but any one without the needle would work.
The math throws me....always has so i read and read and read than by the end i am confused.
I think you have it though. .10 ml for your 5.5 lb bird. That's two drops using an eye dropper. Mine are half yours, so I was right to go with one drop, ie. .05 ml

This is what i was using as directions
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544

She is 5.5 lbs so i was going with .5 ml as a max dose.
Where you read that, she's talking about the 1% stuff.

For the 5% stuff, it's still higher than the site I gave you. Maybe split the difference.

"The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five-pound hen would get 0.23 ml."

Back
Top Bottom