PLEASE help!! 9 weeks old chick not walking

The leaves of nightshade garden plants should be avoided. Fruits are generally okay, but the leaves are toxic. That said, mine have eaten a nibble now and then before I catch them, and they are okay. Avoid more than a bite or two if you can, though.

Including the leaves of:
Tomatoes
Peppers
Eggplants
Potatoes
Tomatillos
Ground Cherry (Gooseberry)
Goji berry
Pimentos

Thanks abserbean and nambroth I was getting confused about the pepper leaves because some people say they are ok and some say not.
The chick is standing now and taking a few steps but her legs are weak and trembling. Especially the left one and she keeps stepping on that with the right one and then trambles like a kid with loose shoelaces.
Her poop has been a little foamy these 2 days. What do you think? Does it look normal?

Last edited:
Poo looks normal to me too. When my pullet was up and walking again, her bum leg would tremble and she would often step on it with the other one. She would pull it up and stand like a flamingo, but she still had the one good leg to use. Now you can barely tell, but it's been a couple months. She does still hold it up sometimes, but she walks and runs normally (as normally as a chicken can run!). If I hold her and press on her feet, I can still tell a strength difference in the bum leg, but she seems to have compensated and it is slowly getting stronger. I am hoping it will one day be back to normal, but for now she is doing okay. Apparently, this whole dehydration/nutrition/vitamin issue she had takes a really long time to get over. Your chicky is looking great! She looks stronger in each picture you post, if she follows like my girl did I think she will be walking better soon. Good luck!

That poop does not look normal to me. Cecal poops should never be foamy and that color looks like it could be coccidiosis. If she were mine I would give Corid.

-Kathy

Thanks everyone.
I will try to monitor better her poops this weekend.
I already got sulfadimethoxine when this started just in case.
About worming, I have never wormed my chickens as I haven't seen anything suspicious.
I will read more about that.

Joy says good morning to all her helping mommies.

She is definitely improving every passing day and our next hello will hopefully be when she lays he first egg.
She is 18 weeks old and was supposed to be a blue red laced wyandotte. But she got mixed somehow at the breeders place and I don't know what she actually is.
With the cold and short days of winter here in Chicago she might not start laying before a few more months though.

Thank you for everything and have a wonderful day everyone

Back
Top Bottom