PLEASE help!! 9 weeks old chick not walking

She is almost walking.
She can even stand for a few seconds. One leg is much weaker but improvement is very exciting.
I will weight her this evening.
My goal now is helping her to gain more weight

When I had a young pullet that was just starting to walk again, I would take her on the patio and put her down about 10 feet away and she had to walk to me. We did that every day.

Awesome job sararoni! Hard to believe it's the same chicken, she looks great! Hope she gets stronger every day, and can rejoin her flock soon.

Thank you for all the kind words :love.
I just weighted her, She is 840g.
9 days ago she was 710g.
Today she is 17 weeks old.
Although she is half the size of her sisters I am hopeful that will improve.

Last edited:
So glad she is gaining weight! She may never completely catch up, but as long as she is improving and gaining that is okay. My pullet that had a similar sickness to yours (although not nearly as severe) has been doing well back with her flock. But the big difference is that she went from being one of the largest to the smallest pullet. Her big setback and weight loss during development seems to have stunted her growth a little. Here she is at 10 weeks old

Pretty big for a juvenile.
And here she is now, at 25 weeks.

Although she has grown, and is a healthy size, she is definitely not as large as we thought she would be. She is, however, my sweetest girl by far. All the inside, one on one time, she thinks she is part human!
Hope your girl can catch up! You and her deserve an award for your hard work the past couple months!

I am thinking about what she has been eating differently lately.
She has had a lot of carrot greens when I put her in the vegetable garden next to me. Those were the only greens she could reach.
She ate a few pepper leaves too but I was afraid to let her eat more because some people say they are in the nightshade family which is toxic to chickens. Do you feed pepper leaves to them?

I don't purposely feed them, but all of my chickens have access to our garden. My girls will occassionally snack on a pepper or tomato leaf, but mostly they avoid them. They are a huge fan of eggplants though, and stole almost all of my fruit off of the vines. I had heard about nightshade veggies not being okay, but hadn't really followed up on the research. I say whatever you are doing is working!

Back
Top Bottom