Please help ASAP...

Dazlin

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 5, 2007
Found one hen not well this morning, she was standing alone with ruffled feathers and her head tucked in her back. I imediately took her out and gave her Tylan, and her feed. She's ate. Now she is standing, or barely standing with one foot completely bent backwards, under her leg. So she is standing on her ankle. Please tell me what this could be, and how contagious.
I must add, I brought a hen home last weekend from a friend, and right after that my friends chickens got sick, some died imediately. None had the sypmtoms like mine, maybe hers had respiratory.
I brought the hen back a few days later.
Any advice or clues as what this is, would be greatly appreciated!

Gosh I hope someone writes back soon, I'm going crazy! Meantime, I have her and the entire flock on Tylan. I just gave her some raw liver too. Such a shame to see. She's a large beautiful young hen, not even a yr. old yet. She was laying nice large brown eggs too. HATE THIS!

I am sorry your hen is ill but why on earth did you immediately give her Tylan? never give antibiotics when you have no clue what is wrong with the bird....each antibiotic works differently and on different things.

How old are the birds you just received?

How is their poo? is it normal, abnormal colored, watery, etc etc ?

Is there discharge from the eyes or nostrils?

When you got the birds, did you isolate them from the birds you already had?

Has the person you got them from had any of her dead birds necropsied?

Is there an avian vet nearby than can check your bird?

It sounds like Merek's but there are other things with the same symptoms.

Last edited:
sounds like meraks, antibiotics will not have any effect. Best to just keep her comfortable till she passes or cull her. I've had 2 die recently from it. Sorry

Thank-you all for the replies!
Rennie, thank-you for the link. It is my guess that it's Mareks. So far, it's the one foot that is is turned under, facing backwards.
I only brought one hen home from my friend. We didn't know until a few days later that her's got sick.
I did the best I could as soon as I found out. I cleaned out the enitire coop, dirt and all. Everything got disinfected, and I replaced all fresh dirt for flooring. I returned the hen also. Guess it was too late. Believe me...NEVER AGAIN!
I'm on my way back out to check her...please send any additional advice, THANKS!

It sounds like Mareks & I'd recommend you cull her immediately. SOme birds recover from Mareks but they remain carriers & will infect other birds as long as they live.
Also, as someone else pointed out don't use an antibiotic until you know what it is you're treating. Antibiotics do nothing for viruses & if used improperly they increase resistance in bacteria.

My husband put her down yesterday. I agree, we couldn't any chances. Thank-you all very much again.

Sorry you had to put her down. That is always so sad but it may have spared your flock.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom