Please help!!! Chicken with Wet Fowl Pox or Canker???

Feather_Family

Hatching
Jan 15, 2023
I have a hen that has developed yellow gunk in her beak and it smells. She seemed fine until I noticed one of her eyes were watery. I went ahead to check inside her beak and I saw yellow gunk with a rotten smell. I separated her from the flock and put electrolytes in her water and gave her feed with different vegetables throughout the day. She ate well that day but the next day, she doesn't want to eat. She is still active but refuses to eat anything I give her. She pecks at it, but doesn't try to eat and shakes her head. I've tried force feeding her but she's very fidgety and I don't know if im hurting her. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what it is either or how to treat her. I don't know if it's wet fowl pox or cranker, I'm confused. I also don't have any vets nearby, so I would have to help her myself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some clear pictures of the eyes and mouth are useful as well some background info like where you are located and if you have added any new birds to your flock recently. How many birds do you have and have you checked the others for symptoms?

Fowl pox is spread through mosquitos or another infected bird. There is not much you can do than offer supportive care.

Canker is spread through sharing food/water with infected birds (many wild pigeons and doves). The lesions smell bad, but it doesn't affect the eyes as far as I know, though that could be a separate issue for your girl. Treatment is Metronidazole which you can buy online as Aqua-zole.

Some clear pictures of the eyes and mouth are useful as well some background info like where you are located and if you have added any new birds to your flock recently. How many birds do you have and have you checked the others for symptoms?

Fowl pox is spread through mosquitos or another infected bird. There is not much you can do than offer supportive care.

Canker is spread through sharing food/water with infected birds (many wild pigeons and doves). The lesions smell bad, but it doesn't affect the eyes as far as I know, though that could be a separate issue for your girl. Treatment is Metronidazole which you can buy online as Aqua-zole.
I'm not home right now but will get pictures as soon as I can. I'm located in South Texas. No new chickens, just six (including her) in the flock. So far the others seem okay. After I separated her, I changed their water and cleaned the area. There have been mosquitoes during the evenings and there's always little birds that come in to eat some of their feed.

Back
Top Bottom