please help: chicken won't walk or stand

no problem! ill keep her in my prayers!
big_smile.png

Well im sad to say Evan took a turn for the worse... last night i spent some time with him because he stopped eating, i told myself he had a month to straighten up or i would be forced to put him down. I went out this morning around 6 and i found him dead... My little hen his lifelong buddy dutifully guarding him. she wouldnt even let me take him out with out tearin me to peices... He's better off now and im glad he isnt suffering. But he will be missed...
hit.gif

I have a two day old chick that just wont stand. everytime i try and help him stand,his legs just go out to th side. any suggestions?? thankyou very much!!

I have had to "sling" two of my hens previously. What was easy was to simply use an adjustable dog harness If you have a fabric type they are more comfortable for your bird. Be sure they can just touch the ground with their feet in case they do slip out. Use clips and carabiners to lengthen for her size.

I have then zip tied water and food in recycled sour cream tubs to they were at beak level for her. Use a disposable dog wee wee pad to collect your droppings under her and you are good to getting her healed up.

I just got a new brood of chicks 4 days ago, but sadly there is one little boy who will not put any pressure on his right leg. After he had hatched we found that he had splayed legs, so we used a band aid to make a little brace. After a few days he could stand on one leg... but the poor little guy will not put any pressure on his other leg! He just flaps and hops around on one leg :(. I have no idea what to do now. Please help me
hmm.png

We
Hi, I saw your message from last summer, I'm sorry about your chicken.  Our Rhode Island Red, around the same age as yours was, is badly limping, cause unknown, we've tried massage, some homeopathy, but the knee seems to have gotten visibly swollen in the past few days so I just started her on Chinese herbs, more homeopathy, and massage, and we're trying to put her into a sling so she won't walk on it but can have access to food and water without having to stay seated all the time.  Can you please tell me what kind of sling you made, of what materials and what design, and was it a comfortable sling?  Did it allow her legs and wings and head to move freely?

Any info and advice would be much appreciated!

By the way, my daughter insists that we should not get any more Rhode Island Reds, since we had a 5-month-old RIR die probably of being egg-bound, and all the RIR's seem to be really sweet but passive and have difficulty standing up for themselves or running away from danger. 

Thanks!
we had 6 RIRs. They all started laying just fine and walked fine. But you are right about them having trouble running from danger. Our dog got out, killed 2 and injured 2 others. Once the rooster gets his bell rung like ours did, things will be a lot safer for your chickens. Good luck!

Yes, it turned out that each of our RIR's had one problem or another and died after a while, long before the other breeds. Maybe we got more than one bad batch, because they were all from the same store and hatchery. But it sounds like it's not totally uncommon.

Thanks everyone! I started my roo on a treatment for Mareck's (st. johns wort) and he's walking now! the paralysis is gone with not even a limp now! Hes not out of the tunnel yet but he's headed the right direction! /img/smilies/big_smile.png

I can't be sure my chicken had/has Marek's, however, all of her symptoms pointed that way. I read this post and started the treatment immediately. She is doing well right now. It's been 6 days since we took her to the animal hospital.
2728.png

I need some help, my broiler rooster won't walk. He was fine yesterday, now he refuses to stand or walk. He is only about 7 weeks old...any advice on what it could be?

Back
Top Bottom