Please help!! - Customized feed

Can you get alfaflfa meal instead of alfaffa as in the hay form? True protein from alfalfa comes from the leaves only. The stems are basically filler and have very little absorbable protein which peas can benefit from.

Can you get alfaflfa meal instead of alfaffa as in the hay form? True protein from alfalfa comes from the leaves only. The stems are basically filler and have very little absorbable protein which peas can benefit from.

That is probably why they only eat the leaves! The stems make good ground cover where the rye is not planted.

I only know of three ways to get alfalfa, bales, pellets, and chopped. This is the bag and label pellets come in.

This is the bag the chopped alfalfa comes in. Notice that there is less fiber in the chops than the pellets.
Kind of makes me wonder about the fiber.

This bag of chops does not have any clumps of molasses, it is all very fine.

I do not find many of these stems on the ground in the pens, I was bug-eyed when I first watched them eat the stems, but then they eat the chainsaw dust too.

Pic of morning mush waiting for addition of crumbles and another gallon of warm water.
No chops in the mush.

Last edited:
Couldn't edit post, so edit here.

I guess four ways, I forgot about cubes, I have never bought cubes even when I had horses.

Stick with three... cubes are gross, blecchhh, and should only be fed to goats or, I dunno, something with a steel stomach and insatiable hunger. Oh wait, I remember... goats.

You are funny!

I bet you are interesting to be around!
1f61c.png

Thanks, Margaret, you are kind to say so.

I looked up "alfalfa meal" on the internet, and most of what I could find was stuff used as a garden fertilizer.

I did find quite the site for feed ingredients, though, and it showed alfalfa pellets, saying it also came in meal form. I really liked the photos of the different feed ingredients next to the descriptions, I think that helps tremendously.

http://grainmillers.com/Feed_Ingredients.aspz

Back
Top Bottom