Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I was candling and moving eggs one at a time to the hatcher. I got through 5 eggs (candled and moved to hatcher individually) and the next one I picked up, I noticed a crack, then cheeps. I realized what was going on and put it back into the incubator since the hatcher is in another room. I immediately raised the humidity since I don't have it high in the incubator but now I'm worried that the chick is going to get shrink wrapped and/or injured by the turner. The turner isn't on as I just use it for holding the eggs. There is another egg that has a crack as well, but neither pipped in the air cell. Should I open again to place some coconut oil on the cracks in hopes of it seeping down and lubricating the membrane? Should I quickly move the remaining eggs into the hatcher and place a warm damp washcloth in with them?

I should add that I have eggs in the incubator that were just set on 6/16, so they're not ready. I do have another hatcher right beside this one that I could move the 6 eggs into that aren't ready yet. Then I could remove the turner and raise the humidity more for the remaining 2 eggs that are hatching and one other that I haven't candled yet, but that would mean opening it up, again.

Just in case someone comes across this thread and is curious, I ended up leaving everything for 8 hours, checking in on it every hour and a half throughout the night. I decided to move the eggs that are still incubating to my Incuview incubator that was right beside this one, incubating other eggs. I also removed the turner and then placed a hot damp washcloth in with the pipped eggs and the humidity rose to 70%. Since the chick pipped on the side of the egg, I believe it did hit a blood vessel as there is some red staining on the inside of the shell. Hopefully this adorable blue Silkie will thrive and live a long life. I'm so anxious to get it out of the incubator, but the other pipped egg is trying to hatch. I'm praying for at least 2 healthy chicks as I doubt my broody silkie will accept any new chicks since her Dutch babies are a week old now. I do have a brooder set up so I'll more than likely just brood them myself

Just in case someone comes across this thread and is curious, I ended up leaving everything for 8 hours, checking in on it every hour and a half throughout the night. I decided to move the eggs that are still incubating to my Incuview incubator that was right beside this one, incubating other eggs. I also removed the turner and then placed a hot damp washcloth in with the pipped eggs and the humidity rose to 70%. Since the chick pipped on the side of the egg, I believe it did hit a blood vessel as there is some red staining on the inside of the shell. Hopefully this adorable blue Silkie will thrive and live a long life. I'm so anxious to get it out of the incubator, but the other pipped egg is trying to hatch. I'm praying for at least 2 healthy chicks as I doubt my broody silkie will accept any new chicks since her Dutch babies are a week old now. I do have a brooder set up so I'll more than likely just brood them myself
So sorry you never got a reply! Sounds like you did great. How is the other hatching egg now? What day were your eggs on? Maybe your temp was too high.

So sorry you never got a reply! Sounds like you did great. How is the other hatching egg now? What day were your eggs on? Maybe your temp was too high.
Today is Day 20. The other one still hasn't hatched but I can see the beak and it's worked just a little more. I'll try to get a picture. Unfortunately both of them pipped on the side of their eggs. Maybe it had something to do with the turner still being in? It's a NR 360 and the turner doesn't really restrict anything, so I don't know

20200629_125800.jpg

I planned to move them over to the hatcher on Day 18, but to be completely honest, I've had so much disappointment with my shipped eggs that I just forgot. I've definitely learned a lesson. I'm going to try to get a picture of the egg that hasn't hatched yet. The chick moved it a few times while it was stumbling around

Today is Day 20. The other one still hasn't hatched but I can see the beak and it's worked just a little more. I'll try to get a picture. Unfortunately both of them pipped on the side of their eggs. Maybe it had something to do with the turner still being in? It's a NR 360 and the turner doesn't really restrict anything, so I don't know
Did you turn the turner off on day 18? If it was on past day 18 it probably disoriented them and made the malpositioned. I have the NR 360 too. I leave the turner in too, I haven't had any problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom