Please help!! Duckling hatched with yolk sac

Aleah913

Chirping
Sep 4, 2020
Please help!! This little baby started to hatch and mom broke the rest of the shell overnight (duckling is completelyout of shell), when it tried to move it looked stuck, noticed that the yolk sac was still attached with some yolk (not a lot just a little) it was stuck under another egg when I moved the egg to free the sac the sac came completely off!! There's no signs of blood, it's head and neck are starting to dry up. It does struggle to hold its head, like a baby first trying to hold its head, it bobbles a lot, it does chirp. Since the sac came off too early is there anything I need/can do to help make sure it survives? I wasn't sure if it was normal for it to bobble its head like that, it's in the nest with mom I do have crumbles and water close to the nest but wasn't sure how long it could go without eating or drinking. This is also the first time I'm hatching babies! They're cayuga ducklings, I had their parents shipped from California (I'm in Pa) and with them being "threatened" I want to do everything I can to make sure they survive.

Attachments

• 20220805_091130.jpg
    20220805_091130.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 44
From your description, it sounds like just a small part of the yolk sac wasn't absorbed. While this means that the duckling won't have the full nutrition provided by the yolk sac, it should still have enough for a couple of days. If it doesn't start eating within a couple of days, though, I would be concerned. The duckling should begin drinking very soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the duckling seeming weak at this point - the hatching process is very taxing, and it should grow stronger and more coordinated over the next day or two. Adding a vitamin and electrolyte supplement to the drinking water will help provide support. If the umbilicus is unhealed where the yolk sac was, you could spray a litle Vetericyn on it to facilitate healing - or just monitor it to make sure it heals properly.

Congratulations on your duckling!

Back
Top Bottom