Please Help! Eye Problem that Won't Go Away!

I would get the Cipro drops that Casportpony recommends. I actually was looking for that medicine she had recommended on another thread. The eye ointment you have is the same as Neosporin plus a steroid anti-inflammatory. That could work, but the Cipro would be a better antibiotic. You could use the one while you are waiting on the other to come in the mail, I suppose. Be sure to flush the eye with saline first if it is gunky.

First State Vet Supply sells Cipro drops and one with a steroid. No prescription needed.
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/#/category/199

-Kathy

Thank you both for all of your help!!
smile.png
I'm crossing my fingers that this will do the trick!!

UPDATE:

I'm still waiting for the drops to arrive. I've also ordered some Enfloxil (Baytril) injectoble, which is on its way. Her eyes have been getting worse, and she's pretty much completely blind now. She can't eat on her own now (because she can't see the food in front of her) and I am syringing food into her 3 times per day. I also started her on another course of Tylan 50 injectible (orally) twice per day. I know that Kathy has had good luck with the Baytril, and I'm wondering if that may do the trick. I'm trying everything I can, and feeling helpless. I'm wondering if all hope is lost at this point.

Once I receive the Enfloxil, what would be the oral dosage for her? Same as Tylan 50 (1/4 ml)? Will it hurt to have her on the Enfloxil right after the Tylan 50?

Her current weight is 2 lbs. 3.6 oz.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I'm still waiting for the drops to arrive. I've also ordered some Enfloxil (Baytril) injectoble, which is on its way. Her eyes have been getting worse, and she's pretty much completely blind now. She can't eat on her own now (because she can't see the food in front of her) and I am syringing food into her 3 times per day. I also started her on another course of Tylan 50 injectible (orally) twice per day. I know that Kathy has had good luck with the Baytril, and I'm wondering if that may do the trick. I'm trying everything I can, and feeling helpless. I'm wondering if all hope is lost at this point.

Once I receive the Enfloxil, what would be the oral dosage for her? Same as Tylan 50 (1/4 ml)? Will it hurt to have her on the Enfloxil right after the Tylan 50?

Her current weight is 2 lbs. 3.6 oz.

Hi casportpony and Eggcessive --- just wondering your thoughts on this, since you have been so helpful before.

I was just reading Kathy's thread on Baytril dosage and it says to give 10mg per every 2.2 pounds twice a day. For a silkie, that would be about 5 mg or 0.05 ml (1/20 th of an ml) twice a day. It also says that you can give twice that amount once a day (10mg or 0.1 ml or 1/10 th of an ml.) Please check my math. I haven't given Baytril before, but most antibiotics should be given in the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, alternating sides each time. Maybe Kathy will verify this.

So I converted 2 pounds 3.6 ounces to grams and get 1009 grams (1.009kg). Best just to call her 1kg. :D

10mg/kg twice a day is 0.1ml twice a day
15mg once a day is 0.15ml once a day
20mg once a day is 0.2ml once a day

I am not a vet, but if you want to give it orally, I'd say use give the 0.1ml twice a day

-Kathy

I was just reading Kathy's thread on Baytril dosage and it says to give 10mg per every 2.2 pounds twice a day. For a silkie, that would be about 5 mg or 0.05 ml (1/20 th of an ml) twice a day. It also says that you can give twice that amount once a day (10mg or 0.1 ml or 1/10 th of an ml.) Please check my math. I haven't given Baytril before, but most antibiotics should be given in the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, alternating sides each time. Maybe Kathy will verify this.

So I converted 2 pounds 3.6 ounces to grams and get 1009 grams (1.009kg). Best just to call her 1kg.
big_smile.png

10mg/kg twice a day is 0.1ml twice a day
15mg once a day is 0.15ml once a day
20mg once a day is 0.2ml once a day

I am not a vet, but if you want to give it orally, I'd say use give the 0.1ml twice a day

-Kathy

Thank you both so much --- you guys are so awesome! I will go with your suggestion of the .1 ml twice per day!!
thumbsup.gif

The Enfloxil should be here sometime tomorrow. My last dose of Tylan 50 (5-day treatment) will also be tomorrow evening. Would you suggest that I complete the Tylan 50 5-day treatment and then start with the Enfloxil treatment on Thursday, or just end her on the Tylan 50 after today (making it a 4-day treatment) and start her on the Enfloxil tomorrow when it arrives?

Quote:
Thank you both so much --- you guys are so awesome! I will go with your suggestion of the .1 ml twice per day!!
thumbsup.gif

The Enfloxil should be here sometime tomorrow. My last dose of Tylan 50 (5-day treatment) will also be tomorrow evening. Would you suggest that I complete the Tylan 50 5-day treatment and then start with the Enfloxil treatment on Thursday, or just end her on the Tylan 50 after today (making it a 4-day treatment) and start her on the Enfloxil tomorrow when it arrives?
Has there been any change with the Tylan?

-Kathy

Has there been any change with the Tylan?

-Kathy

Unfortunately, no change --- makes me feel so frustrated and depressed. I'm hoping the Enfloxil will do the trick. Also, I forgot to ask --- for how many days should I give the Enfloxil?

Also, should I finish the course of Tylan? Or just start with the Enfloxil when I get it?

Back
Top Bottom