PLEASE HELP!!! Green skin [[PICTURE ENCLOSED]]

kittycat23

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
So my chicken has been having a limp leg for about two months now. She avoids putting pressure on it when she hobbles from place to place.

When I was giving her a bath today I finally looked at her skin and saw right above it that her skin was green. I tried to move her toes and they are very loose and she does not react when I touch them. The whole rest of the leg as you can see is a natural healthy color except for at the top. Do have any idea of what it could be and what to do to help it please?!? Thank you so much. She means a lot to me.

I would have thought that green skin like that would indicate dead cells / gangrene, but it is hard to tell from the photo. Is the green area very small and limited to the top of her leg, or does is spread further?

Could it be the result of an injury such as a broken bone that has caused her to limp and lose the use of her leg? I'm no vet, but maybe someone who has had a similar experience or who has a bit of medical knowledge may be able to chime in with some ideas. Is it possible that she could have damaged it jumping down from a high perch or something similar?

Has her limp changed recently - become worse or better? How is she in herself - still eating drinking and moving ok, or does she have problems? The more information you can add (even if it seems irrelevant to you) the more people may be able to help you.

Wow, I've never seen that before. And I'd have to say personally that it doesn't look like gangrene to me from your photo, but I would also say get her to a vet pronto just in case, if it is, you don't want to wait any longer to have it treated.

I have to say it looks like green dye, but that can't be because the feathers are clear of any green color.

What would happen if you were to squeeze the joint there? Would she flinch?

Poor sweetie, I hope that she will be ok and that you find some answers soon!

It could be the aftermath of a serious bruising, instead of gangrene. Hopefully a more experienced chicken person will chime in soon. If they don't, take Bocktobery's advice and find an avian vet to determine what that is. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Green skin can be bruising, but she must have just re-injured the hock . I just read that she is paralyzed in that leg, and she is 8 years old, is that correct? Has she fallen or does she get around okay? Do you feel that she has Mareks disease?

Green skin can be bruising, but she must have just re-injured the hock . I just read that she is paralyzed in that leg, and she is 8 years old, is that correct? Has she fallen or does she get around okay? Do you feel that she has Mareks disease?
Yes, she is the one that is 8 years old and had the prolapsed cloaca. She has not fallen as she is safe in a box in one of my rooms. I feel that she does not have Marek's disease because I have another chicken that was pecking her comb and has been around her up until two months ago and that other chicken is completely healthy with no signs of any type of disease.

If it is just bruising, which I believe it to be except for the fact that she cannot move her toes on that leg that well, what would be a good treatment I could give her?

Thank you.

Wow, I've never seen that before. And I'd have to say personally that it doesn't look like gangrene to me from your photo, but I would also say get her to a vet pronto just in case, if it is, you don't want to wait any longer to have it treated.

I have to say it looks like green dye, but that can't be because the feathers are clear of any green color.

What would happen if you were to squeeze the joint there? Would she flinch?

Poor sweetie, I hope that she will be ok and that you find some answers soon!
She does not really flinch at all when I squeeze the joint there.

Back
Top Bottom