PLEASE HELP!!!! Hen is making a weird sound

kaylaberry

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
van Nuys, California
My Hen has been making weird sounds lately. She has been doing this for about 4 days now. She shows no visible illness. She eats fine, she drinks water very normally. She is very active, runs and scratches like she has always done before. She clucks like any chicken would but it seems to be like she has a soar throat. Her lungs sound a bit muffled like someone with asthma sounds like. Maybe its a respiratory disease? I really don't know whats going on. PLEASE HELP! Let me know if there is something I can do. I live in California and there is no poultry vets anywhere to be found. Her stool is also very normal too. Here is a link to a video I took of her today making that weird sound. Thank you all!

She's crowing - are you certain she is a hen? There are crowing hens, and sometimes a hen with ovarian cancer/problems will undergo a sex change and act like a rooster.

OH MY! I have not had a chicken in the past. This is my very first chicken I've owned. I never really checked for myself. I have family members that have raised chickens and they have told me that it was a she and not a he. She's maybe 3 or 4 months old. I got her/him as a present from a friend. I also thought she might have had ovarian cancer at one point because her poop was a little weird, but it was just because she didn't like the food I changed on her. Then I went back to her old food and her poop went back to what it always was. What other problems could be arising in her? Thanks for the help btw!

Can you post a profile picture of the bird. My gut tells me that there is nothing wrong - you just happen to have a cockerel not a pullet.

I think you hen is a roo!! That is what it sounds like when a young roo is learning to crow. Really need to see the whole body to see the feathers around the tail area as well to be sure as males have a different feather distribution that females. If you could maybe get in better light and take a picture of the whole bird it may be more helpful in trying to identify the sex through some telltale signs.

Back
Top Bottom