Please Help! Lowest Ranking Hen In Bad Condition!

Ellochicken

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
So, my lowest hen in the pecking order is being pecked, and winter is almost here! I really need some help, I've ordered a chicken saddle and I'm thinking about calling a guy called the Chicken Whisperer, what else can I do to help her?
Here are some pictures....

Thanks!

-Ellochicken
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Was she recently added to your flock? Also you can buy something called BluKote that you can put on any irritated/red bare spots to prevent further picking at injuries. Can you seperate her in a cage within the coop so the others can get used to her being around and not pick on her? And provide a couple of areas she can run behind so she doesnt become cornered?

I'm having this problem too. =( It's awful, I feel so bad for my poor hen. I'm certainly no expert, but this is what I've done so far - mostly what I've seen recommended on this site:

I ordered a saddle for her, but it hasn't come yet, so I fashioned one out of an old fleece blanket very easily (no sewing required - I saw how to do it on here - just two holes for the wings and one hole for the tail).

I put some Blue Kote on the pecked area (not sure if you can eat the eggs with this applied).

I can't make my run bigger (it's already 72 sqf for 4 chickens), but I added extra perches to give them a mezzanine. We also haven't been locking them in the coop at night, so they can just come out as soon as we wake up. And we've been letting them out more to free range in the yard.

I hung a cabbage (which they loved and devoured in a day) and pecking block (which they mostly ignore so far).

We also switched them back from 100% layer pellets to 50% layer and 50% chick/starter to increase their protein.

This is a terrible problem to have! My chickens are only six months old, and I never imagined I would be dealing with this. Good luck with your hen.

uc4tuna: My hens are 6 months as well, and turning 7 months on the 19th this month, and where can I find the "Blue Kote" and what does it do? I've heard it mentioned before, and are your hens and/or roosters doing any better? Or has it gotten worse?
Rhoise: Thank You! That seems very useful, And is there a video that explains how to install them?

Thank You Very Much For Your Help!

-Ellochicken
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Find the culprit & isolate her from the flock for a month. I free range mine so I put the chick who's in isolation in there run everyday so the others can still see her. Then after isolation I put her back on the roost one night with the others. Then I just keep an eye on her for awhile to make sure there getting along. This will lower her pecking order. I usually seperate the pecked hen & feed her GBS & let her grow her feathers back. It takes a lot of time & patience but has worked for me.

Was she recently added to your flock? Also you can buy something called BluKote that you can put on any irritated/red bare spots to prevent further picking at injuries. Can you seperate her in a cage within the coop so the others can get used to her being around and not pick on her? And provide a couple of areas she can run behind so she doesnt become cornered?

good advice~I like that about making some places for her to hide. :thumbsup

I have a hen that gets picked on, I seperated her and put another hen with her for company. And when I let them out with the other chickens I keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom