Please help me figure out the breeds of my 12-week pullets?

Coopmom56

Songster
6 Years
Jun 13, 2015
Texas Panhandle
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, From Texas! This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while, trying to learn all I can before I got my chicken girls. I got them from a friend, who raised the chicks from eggs she got from her friend, who has a mixed flock. So I'm pretty sure they're "mutts", and I'm totally okay with that, but I'm curious about what breed combinations they might be. Thanks for your help!

Agatha - look at those gray legs.

Alice - she has yellow legs

Edith - she's quite a bit smaller than the others, and has dark gray/mottled legs. I see some green sheen to the feathers towards her tail.

Fern, in the middle - she's solid black with dark gray/mottled legs like Edith - but she's beginning to show some brown or copper tones around her neck.

Thank you for all the information you guys post. We made the bucket-and-pvc-elbow feeder, and purchased a Brite-tap waterer, and the girls learned how to use both in the first afternoon in their new home. Getting them in the new coop the first night was a trick, but the next night they were all tucked in when I went to put them up. Do I have smart girls, or what? :)

Welcome to BYC!

I'm not sure about their breed or even breed type, but they are really gorgeous.

Best of luck!

It's hard to tell what breed they're mixed with without a list of candidates, and they could be a product of many generations of mixed breeding. The ones with grey/green legs could be Easter Eggers, though. Fern could also be a Black Sex-Link ("official" cross), with the copper on the neck and grey legs, but it'd be a pure and rare coincidence to produce one without selective breeding.

welcome-byc.gif

They're mixed enough no specific breed stands out. Probably a genetic soup situation, mixes of mixes. They're going to make a very visually interesting flock
smile.png

:welcome

They're mixed enough no specific breed stands out. Probably a genetic soup situation, mixes of mixes. They're going to make a very visually interesting flock :)

I particularly like Edith's coloring. May be when they begin to lay, the egg colors will give me some clue?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom