Please help me understand why it's OK for a rooster to crow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I agree with this statement-people do not take it lightly when you start getting their animals removed. It is just sad that neighbors have issues like this. I live right next to my two neighbors, and they are great-I am so thankful for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions! I have a hen who crows, at 5:50 in the morning....I don't want to bother our neighbors, and I don't want to hear it either, so I think we will get something to black out the coop with at night and remove in the morning after a reasonable time.

Cock a doodle don't, why not try to speak with your neighbor again, and ask if she would try blacking out the coop at night so the rooster isn't crowing so early, tell her that you would like to come to a compromise, so that the two of you can be happy and try to work out a deal together. And remind her that if it's disturbing you, most likely other neighbors are disturbed as well, and it would be better for her to try some things to keep the rooster quiet in the mornings instead of having a group of irritated neighbors complain to the city about her and her possibly losing her pets.

Quote:
I agree with sending a non-emotional/non-threatening letter, however I would state that if she refused to meet you half way then you would have no other recourse than to file a complaint.

I am wondering though, how long has this been going on? Are the roosters new, or did you recently move in? I ask because maybe it is a sound you will get used to. I remember when I bought my first house I thought I had made one of the biggest mistakes in my life. I felt almost cheated that noone had mentioned to me that 2-3 a day I would hear the train that went by. It was not directly beside my house but for the first few weeks/months I could not stand it. It was to me like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard through an amplifier several times a day. As the months went on I stopped noticing it. As the months became years, I'd find myself comforted by the sound when I returned home from a trip. I moved from that house about 10 years ago but to this day when I hear a train approaching I smile and get a warm feeling. I spent 5 lovely years in that house and what was once an unbearable nuisance became familiar and ordinary.

Good luck and I hope you can work something out.

Certainly, if there is an ordinance against roosters or just poultry altogether, then all other issues are moot. I dont want to be a bad neighbor, but I do have my life to live and am living within the bounds of the law by having as many chickens, roosters, cows, etc, that I want here. So, if someone from the city complains, they need to go back there and stay put.
I'd talk to her again, calmly and rationally, and see if there is anything she can do or will do to make your life on your side of the fence more pleasant. If not, and it really bothers you all that much, then do what you want to do and have a right to do legally. Just know that it will not make her a kinder neighbor to push the issue.

Have any of you ever tried blackening out the coop. I am just wondering how well it works. I will have other roosters that crow when the chicks grow up. I just dont want to have to get rid of all of them so I need a solution to the issue.

Quote:
It sounds like to me that you are tyring to add fuel to this persons flame. Crowing comes by nature as others have mentioned. If it is legal for a person to own chickens, including a roo or 2, then let well enough alone.

The main problem that we have in society today is that people can't mind there own business.

Actually, the MAIN problem that we have in society is inconsiderate people who use the law or lack of law to justify/satisfy their own selfish wants/actions.
The complaining poster IS MINDING HER BUSINESS. It's very much her business when she's being awakened every morning by someone else's noise maker.
If you can't come up with a better suggestion than what you've made, I suggest that YOU "let well enough alone."

Then let it alone and let them figure out how to deal with this prob. themselves. Otherwise you to, in the end, will also have to answer for their actions.

I knew this thread would take a turn like this.

There are several roosters. Not that it matters.

Yes I confronted her. I guess in some twisted logic that's my fault because I waited until I was absolutely fuming at 4.45 on Sunday morning to really complain. I've casually mentioned to her that they are loud before but to no avail.

For those of you with roosters, don't take a friendly neighbor for granted. If she had just made some effort to keep the rooster quiet in the morning I would be happy. Now I have to spend my time chasing down the code enforcer and feel like a jerk for complaining about a neighbor.

Realize that some people, like me, aren't going to complain about minor annoyances. But keep on pushing and at some point they're going to hit a breaking point and they are going to explode. I'm just about there.

For the record I would feel bad if she had to give up her hobby. I don't want this, I don't know what the city will do but something's gotta give.

Thanks for the discussion all.

So... You're the type of person who would have an issue with the wildbirds making a racket in the early morning? ... I love the crowing, but again, are you the same person who has a problem with a dog that barks more than twice a day? We have those neighbors, and they are the reason we are leaving the town, those neighbors are inconsiderate, and they are almost ALWAYS the same neighbors who have the rowdy parties, and the obnoxious children.

It's not the end of the world if a rooster crows, and you shouldn't lose sleep over it. Perhaps asking your neighbor if they could install some sound-barrier insulation in their coop would be a good idea, it'd at least muffle the sound. We use it in our dog kennel, and it works great.

You know, like all noises, give it time. Once you get used to the common daily noises your brain filters them out as background noise. Most of the time you won't hear it.

You are complaining about a sound you can get used to NOT hearing over a relatively short period of time. The same as people who live near railroad tracks and flight paths.

You should be thankful she hasn't raised a flock of guineas.
wink.png

The thing is that when you ask for opinions on a chicken board you are going to get them. Some you will not like, but as with anything, when you ask you will receive.
smile.png

There are many experiences here and lots of good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom