PLEASE help, my chick just ate a hair tie.

Her crop will grind the material right off so she is likely to poop out just the rubber and metal. It should reduce in size. I know my vet doesn't charge for calling and asking questions, but some won't, you could always call around so you don't worry over vacation. But I would have a great vacation and just have a friend check in on her if you are very worried.

Okay, so Mary survived the night. She continues to act normal, but I haven't seen her poop yet. Her crop is there, slightly hard, and about the size of half of a golf ball. She's clucking, flying, eating, drinking. I did find a sketchy poo in the coop, I'm not sure who It came from, but it had a little red in it. Should I be concerned? I looked at some of the poop but didn't see anything that looked like metal or a runner band

No worries, cmlew99. It's kinda sad though you didn't get help right away in the emergency thread. But maybe folks just figured it'd pass & didn't bother to reply. Of course that doesn't help comfort you in any way.

You may not like my answer about the poop. I'd say if you're really concerned, the only way to find out is to dig your fingers through it. I'd put on some rubber gloves though. :p

If you're feeling a hard lump in her crop & it's not gritty (like loose rocks) then it could be where the tie is. It may take a while to break it down since it's a synthetic material not normally found in Nature..

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I did a search & it seems another user years ago had the same issue:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/195083/my-chicken-ate-my-hairband-help

They didn't update, but maybe they just forgot about the event & their chicken was doing fine. So hope that comforts you some. :)

Sooo. How is your chicken? Is she still ok? How was your vacation with your parents? Inquiring minds wanna know. Lol. 2 of my hens just started laying this past weekend. Lots of excitement here at my house.

I just bet that you didnt get a whole lot of responses because people just dont know if the chicken will be harmed by it or not. That is my thinking. If it were my chicken I would just wait and see what happens. But that is just me.
I hope by now the chicken is fine....
Marie

My chicken is doing okay so far! She continues to act normally. Eating, drinking, pooping, etc...

My vacation was fine, thank you! Though, I was worried about her the whole time... Thanks for checking in again:)

So glad! You remind me of my daughter. She leaves her hair ties all over. After your post I checked all around the pool out back..sure enough I found 2! My hens free range with supervision when I'm in the back yard. I made sure I didn't have anyhair ties where they could find them. I was hopeful your worrying wouldn't ruin your vacation. My hens follow me around while I work in my garden, such fun. 2 of my hens started laying last weekend so I am one happy chicken owner. I do love my animals. I now have searched the back yard which is fenced for any possible hazards. I have ennoyed your tread!

Thank you @16 paws and @Krissilpn !

I'm glad that my mistakes saved you and your chickens from that kind of stress! I'm very glad that our experience can benefit others who might have had the same problem. I wish I could've stayed with her, instead of leaving for a day or two, but maybe I just would have been obsessing for nothing. My little chicken continues to do well- I just hope it won't present a problem later on in her life :/

Thanks for all your help and support! I can't describe how comforting and inspiring it is to have people to talk to and ask for advice. I'm always learning!!

Back
Top Bottom