Please help my duck is very sick

Is there a electrolyte solution recipe you could recommend? All shops are currently closed because of the bank holiday.

She’s a mix of silver appleyard and Campbell. She hasn’t been in any trauma and my other duck is completely fine.
There should be plenty of formulas online. If in a pinch, mix some sugar-water, with a touch of salt.

No poop at all? Not even water?
If she hasn't been pooping, that's a bit worrying.
Is she panting, laying down, limping, or bobbing her tail at all?
If she has any of those symptoms, you may want to rule out her being egg bound. It's challenging with it being a bank holiday, but do you happen have any calcium gluconate to hand? The human powder supplement works.

Can you get a photo of her?
image.jpg
Sorry this is the best photo I could get, she’s not even fully opening her eyes. I have felt her for egg binding but couldn’t feel anything and the vet did too. She’s panting every once in a while, not limping not bobbing her head or wagging her tail. Completely out of character.

She has not pooped once since I’ve seen her this morning, I don’t have any calcium glauconite but I had some of Johnson’s poultry drink which I’ve tried using a syringe to get into her.

I feel so hopeless right now. I have no idea what to do

View attachment 3461239Sorry this is the best photo I could get, she’s not even fully opening her eyes. I have felt her for egg binding but couldn’t feel anything and the vet did too. She’s panting every once in a while, not limping not bobbing her head or wagging her tail. Completely out of character.

She has not pooped once since I’ve seen her this morning, I don’t have any calcium glauconite but I had some of Johnson’s poultry drink which I’ve tried using a syringe to get into her.

I feel so hopeless right now. I have no idea what to do
I'm not sure what else to suggest, let's see if we can get some more opinions in here
@Miss Lydia @New duck mommy 2021

When you felt for the egg did you go into the vent ?
Also feel her tummy
Don’t push hard but I can usually feel the egg
I’m leaning towards ate something toxic ducks dig and can find things they shouldn’t
I lost one ti eating a penny. She ran a high fever and in less then 12 hours from when I noticed her unwell she had passed away at the vets
I would get activated charcoal food grade into her
I would also lean towards egg bound
@BelovedBirds will know where to find this kind of stuff out there

When you felt for the egg did you go into the vent ?
Also feel her tummy
Don’t push hard but I can usually feel the egg
I’m leaning towards ate something toxic ducks dig and can find things they shouldn’t
I lost one ti eating a penny. She ran a high fever and in less then 12 hours from when I noticed her unwell she had passed away at the vets
I would get activated charcoal food grade into her
I would also lean towards egg bound
@BelovedBirds will know where to find this kind of stuff out there
I got both my activated charcoal, and calcium gluconate powder online- the calcium gluconate is available on amazon. Of course there's the wait from delivery though.
Health stores should carry both things, but being Easter Sunday, I'm not sure how long the wait to access them would be.

I wonder if vets would offer these, or something else that could work?

I got both my activated charcoal, and calcium gluconate powder online- the calcium gluconate is available on amazon. Of course there's the wait from delivery though.
Health stores should carry both things, but being Easter Sunday, I'm not sure how long the wait to access them would be.

I wonder if vets would offer these, or something else that could work?
She hasn’t pooped at all, is it safe to give her laxido or firbrogel? (both are for humans) I just checked and she is definitely not pooping.

Here are some more pictures, it’s hard to get a clear photo but she has appeared to poop a very small amount of a white gooey substanc. Is laxido safe for her? And if so, what dosage should I give?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are some more pictures, it’s hard to get a clear photo but she has appeared to poop a very small amount of a white gooey substanc. Is laxido safe for her? And if so, what dosage should I give?View attachment 3461266View attachment 3461268
Poor girl, looks like she's feeling very unwell

That tail looks suspiciously drooped
Is she pumping it up and down slightly at all? That can be a sign that they have an egg coming.

What is laxido?

She hasn’t pooped at all, is it safe to give her laxido or firbrogel? (both are for humans) I just checked and she is definitely not pooping.
I dont know if thats safe, and I don't know if laxatives are going to help much.
I think it's more likely that there's an egg stuck preventing her from pooping, opposed to her being constipated. Can you bring her inside? You could try putting her in a slightly warm (not hot) bath sometimes that can help them to lay, if that's the trouble here. Keep her supervised and give her a little bit in there, about 10-15 minutes. if no change or if she's declining, bring her out, ensure she's warm and give her a darker room to sit in. That can help to reduce stress and hopefully if there's an egg she lays it
There's not a lot else you can do without activated charcoal and calcium.

If you have some nutri drench, giving her some would be a good idea, otherwise just giving her the electrolytes.
I see she has some mealworm, does she have access to grit? (And does she usually have grit available?)

Back
Top Bottom