PLEASE help- my hen SPLIT OPEN

She has been slathered in vetricyn since I discovered this, I swear by it too!

So, current idea is that the bulge itself is the abscess and should be lanced? I was considering that but I hate thinking that it might just be a dried out muscle layer and her organs under there. Eesh. Thank you all. I'll keep you updated.

I personally would lance it with a sterile blade or needle. I have done it with my other animals, they aren't happy but it works. If you take and soak her in warm water it will soften the skin and make it less painful for her.

What I have done with abscess in the past is,

1)Wash the outer area with nice warm water and Hibiclens. (Available in most pharmacies, may have to ask for it) It is a great antimicrobial wash, hospital surgical grade.

2) Remove any feathers that will poke into the wound that could cause more irritation or infection.

3)Lance it and flush it with sterile saline. Here is some directions from Phoenix children's Hospital on how to make sterile saline water.

http://www.phoenixchildrens.com/health-information/the-emily-center/child-health-topics/handouts/Sterile-Water-Saline-861.pdf

4)
I would pack the wound. When you pack wounds you place some sterile gauze into the wound. This allows the wound to heal from the inside out. It will absorb any infections drainage, then when you change the packing it will remove any yucky dead tissue with it. It also prevents the wound from sealing up causing another abscess. It is a long process but a more sure process. Wash your hands throughly with the hibicleanse before packing the wound. Use sterile gauze.

http://allnurses.com/wound-ostomy-continence/what-reason-packing-135036.html

Whether you should wet the packing with the sterile saline, or just dry pack it, I'm not for sure right this second. There is an old adage about when to use wet and dry packing. I'm thinking it is a wet wound dry packing.

5) A course of antibiotics also. I had one Roo develop a NASTY infection from a dog bite. Took up half his body, I just knew he was going to die. Within 5 days He went from literally green infectious skin to happy healthy bird that Is a beautiful good rooster, who also possesses the fast feathering traits I need for feather sexing birds. This bird was attacked by a stupid Boston Terrier and the wound wasn't big enough for me to pack, plus no one told me about it for a day or so. I was MAD. But with cleaning the bite wound with Hibicleanse removed what scabbing was there, let what could drain. But it had turned into Cellulitous and the infection was everywhere, I used some Augmentin we had for humans here at home we used 200mg crushed up diluted with 3 cc's of water. . And the little guy got his own play pen and discovered TV. It was so funny he would perch on the side of the play pen and scream till we turned on the tv. It was so funny. Here is pics of DLs infection and wound recovery. She can recover just be prepared to a long recovery. If you don't want to go through all the steps I would recommend putting her down. It would be unfair to make her keep going through that pain.

53024_imag0322.jpg

53024_imag0321.jpg

53024_imag0360.jpg

53024_imag0359.jpg

53024_imag0340.jpg

Quote:
What is vetricyn? I have never used something like that. Someone else said don't use Epsom salts, but I don't know why. I have just used whatever human stuff I have, I have more knowledge in treating humans than in treating animals. So I have just applied that knowledge to animals. It seems to have worked so far, I just make sure it won't kill a bird. Normally by posting it here on this board, and when everyone screams..NNNOOOOOO I stop. The only thing I have heard that about is the Landicaine, Novacaine problem.

So if I am wrong in this.. sorry, But it is just my experience and how I handle a lot of the illness here.

Christal

What is vetricyn?

It is a spray..you can find out more about it by going to google. It oxygenates the flesh and kills bacteria, germs, etc...I have a friend who bought it for her horses and even uses it on herself..she says it helps with healing something crazy. At the feed stores it is about $30 for an 8oz bottle, you can get it much cheaper online.​

I think I will stay with Hibiclens.. It looks like they are both formulated with chlorine compounds! I will agree it some great stuff. http://www.hibiclens.com/

Why
do they slap vet or animal on something or other and charge us more for basically the same thing. I wonder if the vetricyn has a reddish color to it too? There is a very good chance they formulated the vetricyn more so for animals, maybe not as strong or something? But I would think in a bind where you just need something hibiclens will work just great.

But both of them say to only apply for more superficial wounds that only go as deep at the dermis. I think in something like this poor hen is having either would be great to cleanse it but the packing would help make sure none of the yucky stuff sloughs off inside then gets sealed in creating a similar situation.

Christal

PS sorry about you not having your rainbow pullets till May.
sad.png

Last edited:
If this was a horse, I would Soak in warm water/ Betadine is good. I would also shringe peroxide into the wound. If it is a puncture of any sort a shryinge will help shoot cleanser into the deeper pockets. Im going to guess no cavity is a good thing. Maybe she abscessed. I would definately try to get antibioyics in. Warm water wont hurt. You want to wash away any nasty infected skin you can. Also trim as many feathers as possible as short as possible around the area. Good Luck! Maybe a good drying powder when its clean, but Im not sure what you can use on chickens?

Betadine ointment and sugar will eat proud flesh if that bump proves to be scar tissue. I missed the picture initially but it seems tons of chicken knowledge here:) Good Luck!!

I did the betadine soak and it gave me the opportunity to get feathers off that had matted to the area. She's still alive. I didn't cut the bump open- I figure I'll give the antibiotics time to be in her system before I go and do anything like that. It really looks like all of the skin tore off and I'm looking at fat and muscle... but obviously something is forcing it out.

Back
Top Bottom