Thank you all so much for your help and encouragement! I appreciate so much. We also had another idea…we found motion activated sprinklers. You are supposed to put them where you don’t want them, (so lawn, porch, driveway ETC) and then they will turn on whenever your chickens activate them. My chickens Do not like the rain, and they HATE getting sprayed with the sprinklers, so we think this is a really good option. and then you just turn them off whenever you go into the yard. What do you all think? We are hoping they will eventually learn that they just don’t wanna go into the yard, so we won’t have to have the sprinklers on all the time. Is this a good option? Thanks all!
Worth a shot! Sone folks use those to keep predators away, too. Might be a two-for solution.

Let us know how it goes!

Hey y’all! Thanks for clicking. 😁 i was hoping I could get you guys help- here is the situation:
(NOTE, if you don’t wanna spend five minutes reading through my post, than pleas scroll down to the bottom to get a short version. Thank you!)

LONG VERSION
We got chickens for tick control. Right now they are free range, and doing wonderful. But the all the poop is driving us nuts! Poop on the porch, poop on the driveway, poop in the yard, poop on the furniture, poop on the cars, poop on our woodpile, poop on the bikes, poop on the lawnmower- it think you get the idea. There is poop EVERYWHERE! it is getting to be that we don’t even wanna be outside, and I even spray it off and collect it out of the yard every day! It is getting to be a epic poop battle, and it is starting to take away the joy of having chickens (for my parents, not for me. 😜) Do any of you have this problem? Is there any solution??

I was thinking of a chicken tractor- that way we could move it every week to a spot we need ticks cleared, and I would still let them free range for a couple hours a day, just when I can keep them off the yard. The only problem with this is- our land is pretty much all like this:
View attachment 3202232
View attachment 3202236View attachment 3202237
And we are concerned that a chicken tractor might be hard to move in thick long grass like this? What do you think?

If a chicken tractor won’t work, do you guys have any other solutions? Thanks you a lot for your help!! Really appreciate it.

SHORT VERSION:

Our chickens are free range, and they are pooping everywhere! We need a solution that will still allow them to eat the tick on our property, but not have to deal with all the poop. Any ideas? Thank you!

Kindly,
Summer
I'm a chicken newbie, so this might not work. But could you make a chicken tractor with HUGE wheels, and build the cage part so it raises and lowers?? So when you want to move it, you are rolling "bicycle tires" on the grass with the tractor held 18-20 inches above it? When you get where you want it, you lower the "cage" part to the ground.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom