Please help. Poorly chickens. Is it respitary?

Here is information on Marek's I posted to another thread. Best wishes!

There are multiple types of Marek's Disease. I will go through each including symptoms. Then we can go from there. :)

The first form is the Cutaneous form or the skin form. This is when there are large, red feather follicles and white bumps on the skin. These will form brown, crusty scabs.

The next form the Neurological form. This is one of the most common. It's caused by lesions that affect the nervous system. The symptoms are: Temporary paralysis which can resolve itself spontaneously; Progressive paralysis in the wings and/or legs; The twisting of the neck (similar to wry neck, but not permanent); Respiratory problems; Darkened comb due to lack of oxygen; And diarrhea.

The third form is Ocular or eye. The symptoms are: Graying of the eye; Misshapen iris; Blindness; And a non-reactive pupil.

The last form is Visceral or internal. Its symptoms are weight loss and cancerous tumors on internal organs.

It's also quite likely that your chicken will stop laying eggs.

It's untreatable in most cases and usually, results in the death of the bird. If your chicken has Marek's, culling would be the best option. Even if she survives, she would be a carrier for life which would put your flock in danger. Not to mention the disease would stay in the soil for 7 years.

My best wishes for you and your chooks! :hugs :fl

Here is information on Marek's I posted to another thread. Best wishes!

There are multiple types of Marek's Disease. I will go through each including symptoms. Then we can go from there. :)

The first form is the Cutaneous form or the skin form. This is when there are large, red feather follicles and white bumps on the skin. These will form brown, crusty scabs.

The next form the Neurological form. This is one of the most common. It's caused by lesions that affect the nervous system. The symptoms are: Temporary paralysis which can resolve itself spontaneously; Progressive paralysis in the wings and/or legs; The twisting of the neck (similar to wry neck, but not permanent); Respiratory problems; Darkened comb due to lack of oxygen; And diarrhea.

The third form is Ocular or eye. The symptoms are: Graying of the eye; Misshapen iris; Blindness; And a non-reactive pupil.

The last form is Visceral or internal. Its symptoms are weight loss and cancerous tumors on internal organs.

It's also quite likely that your chicken will stop laying eggs.

It's untreatable in most cases and usually, results in the death of the bird. If your chicken has Marek's, culling would be the best option. Even if she survives, she would be a carrier for life which would put your flock in danger. Not to mention the disease would stay in the soil for 7 years.

My best wishes for you and your chooks! :hugs :fl
Thank you for the information! Feeling quite sad (my little boy loves our chickens) so will be heartbreaking to cull although I know that's probably the best option. Curious if it's been the new ones from this summer or last summer who has brought it to the flock. I've always bought from very high valued members of the poultry club/shows in our area.
The little one who we bought in summer was due to start laying about 3/4 weeks ago but hasn't yet so this also may explain since it can stop egg lay x

Thank you for the information! Feeling quite sad (my little boy loves our chickens) so will be heartbreaking to cull although I know that's probably the best option. Curious if it's been the new ones from this summer or last summer who has brought it to the flock. I've always bought from very high valued members of the poultry club/shows in our area.
The little one who we bought in summer was due to start laying about 3/4 weeks ago but hasn't yet so this also may explain since it can stop egg lay x
The tough thing with Marek's is that is stays in the soil for 7 years after a flock is infected. In the future, maybe consider vaccinating? It has to be done on day 1 of life! I'm praying or your chickidee!

Oh I'm so sorry! May she rest in peace. I pray the rest of your chickens will be ok! Did she just pass?
Thank you for your kind words, yes after replying I went to check on her and she was gone. Hopefully rest will be ok. Checked on the other two and they're much about the same (head bobbing and runny eyes) one still has her feisty spirit (went to clap her and she pecked which is her usual character) she loves my son but not me lmao Xx

Sorry about your girl.

You can try get giving them colloidal silver. Most health food stores carry it. It's supposed to be good for all sorts of things. People swear by it for upper respiratory and Marek's.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottles-Coll...&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=colloidal+silver&psc=1

I go for something like this. You can put it in a waterer or give them some by syringe. At 30 ppm I gave it by the shot glass. Literally poured it in a shot glass and let them drink it. Gave it that way 2x a day for a week. It won't hurt them so I figure it's worth a try.

Sorry about your girl.

You can try get giving them colloidal silver. Most health food stores carry it. It's supposed to be good for all sorts of things. People swear by it for upper respiratory and Marek's.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottles-Coll...&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=colloidal+silver&psc=1

I go for something like this. You can put it in a waterer or give them some by syringe. At 30 ppm I gave it by the shot glass. Literally poured it in a shot glass and let them drink it. Gave it that way 2x a day for a week. It won't hurt them so I figure it's worth a try.
I've had a look online, as I'm in the uk I can only see 45ppm, 10ppm or 40ppm .. what one would be best? X

Bringing in birds from shows is risky without proper quarantine,
which is pretty hard to do effectively in a backyard situation.
Can you isolate 300 feet down wind, keeping all equipment and clothing separated?
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
BYC 'quarantine' search

Without a necrospy on the dead birds at a reputable lab to positively ID the disease, trying to treat is like shooting at shadows. Treating willy-nilly may only complicate the symptoms and/or create resistance. Birds can carry disease without symptoms and the "checked prior and all fine" depends on what that means at the show(what do they check for and how do they check for it??)

Bringing in birds from shows is risky without proper quarantine,
which is pretty hard to do effectively in a backyard situation.
Can you isolate 300 feet down wind, keeping all equipment and clothing separated?
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
BYC 'quarantine' search

Without a necrospy on the dead birds at a reputable lab to positively ID the disease, trying to treat is like shooting at shadows. Treating willy-nilly may only complicate the symptoms and/or create resistance. Birds can carry disease without symptoms and the "checked prior and all fine" depends on what that means at the show(what do they check for and how do they check for it??)

Sadly I've just found another dead (one who wasn't separated and wasn't showing any signs) so I think your original reply is right, it's already been passed on the rest.

That's very true. Usually for quarantining I have them at a different location from my hens and in a hut. But as you've just said some go without symptoms, and I've just read an article which says mareks isn't always picked up on at checks (due to the fact it can be symptomless or lies dormant).
All who I've bought from have meant to be respectable breeders.

Not sure how to go forward from here, very upsetting if they do all have it. Any advice on going forward? X

Back
Top Bottom