PLEASE HELP. URGENT.

Vitoria

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2015

Is something wrong?

We force fed him water. And some food.

There seems to be a swelling below his right eye.

Its really hot where i'm from; pakistan. And, there is no vet in the vicinity.
Please help.

I have flagyl, paracetamol, calpol, multivitamins with me at the moment.

@Vitoria , you are in Pakistan, right? One of our other contributors, @Zohaib , was able to get enrofloxacin at the pharmacy in Pakistan. I believe it may be sold without a prescription there. He very kindly sent my these photos:

Both of these medications are 10% enrofloxacin in what is sold for injection, the same as our "Baytril 100" in the US. You can give the correct amount orally, but you may wish to dilute it in a little distilled water to be easier in the bird's throat.

You must first weigh your bird to see how heavy it is in kilograms. You can use 15 to 20 mg of mTedicine per kilo that the bird weighs (Thanks @casportpony !) To calculate the dosage, you must first figure out how many mg of medicine are needed for your bird (multiply 15 mg times the weight in kg).

Next, figure out how many ml's of medicine it will take to get that many mg of enrofloxacin. There are 100 mg of enrofloxacin in every ml if you are using this version of the medication at this specific concentration. (Always check the label to make sure what strength you have purchased, as it is sold with different concentrations). You can give it once a day.

Kathy may have more/better recommendations -- mainly I wanted to send photos of the bottles so you can see what may be available in your area.

Hope your bird recovers quickly!
fl.gif

Poor boy!
He looks like he has a sinus infection - his nares are clogged with something, dried pus or mucus?
I can't give you medication advice, but if you search here you may find some; I'm sure an experienced peaperson will show up soon to let you know what would be effective. In the meantime, you might see if you can gently clear his nares so he can breathe better.
Why did you force feed him, how long has it been since he has eaten or drank water by himself?

I don't have experience with this myself, but I believe that it was our super-duper-pea health expert @casportpony who recommended looking inside the beak at the roof of the mouth. SOmetimes you can see further evidence of pus clogging the sinuses there. Post a picture if you can.

Last edited:
We noticed this morning when he didn't move from his perch.

I cleaned his nare, its only the right one.
It does look like a sinus infection.

We brought him inside and out of the heat.

We force fed him an hour ago. And give him water after short times.

He calls to his peas outside every now and then. He is responsive. But not active.

He keeps closing his eyes.

If he has a sinus infection, should I give him AUGMENTIN?
If so, how much? Thats the only antibiotic I have.

Back
Top Bottom