PLEASE HELP What's wrong with my rooster?

Aug 6, 2021
Indiana
Two weeks ago today, we went to my mother-in-law's house.
I left my chickens up.
Everyone was in bed when I got home, but seemed ok. I was worried about my older Roo picking on the younger. He's been chasing him more since the younger has started liking girls. ☺️)
but Monday morning I checked and my oldest rooster (only a year old) was acting strange. He wouldn't come out of the coop.
The next day after doing some research. I gave him herbs (parsley, comfrey, echinacea, garlic with honey) and sugar water. Also I gave him water with ACV.
That was Tuesday, he went into the run but didn't venture outside.. After more herbs and sugar water he came outside was walking slow and drawing his legs up. My younger rooster attacked him. He ran and disappeared.
There were hawks and vultures that afternoon and the next couple of days. We thought they got him.
Low and behold this last Friday while the kids were doing the homeschooling work, we heard him crow in the duct work.
He was under my kids house! Almost a week. No food or water that we know.
I've put him in the brooder pen. Hand fed him tuna, canned cat food, soaked seeds, watered down crumbles and oyster shells. Plus he's drank bunches and ate garlic pieces from the water.
He wanted out today. But The younger Roo is still on the attack. So I brought the brooder pen out. Here he is. Can anyone tell me what the matter is?
No physical injuries I can see. But his comb is going purple. I'll post videos and pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_123726932.jpg
    IMG_20230326_123726932.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230326_123127626.jpg
    IMG_20230326_123127626.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The vitamins can help, but he may be sore or injured. The young cockerel has challenged him for number one, and he probably lost. They need to be kept separate now. You can rotate them in and out of the flock as long as they are not together. His comb may be showing that he is stressed or a little dehydrated. When the tips and the back are dusky, it can be temporary. He does not need oyster shell, by the way, just some grit. Let us know how he gets along.

The vitamins can help, but he may be sore or injured. The young cockerel has challenged him for number one, and he probably lost. They need to be kept separate now.
X2
My rooster started acting all withdrawn and wouldn't go in the coop at night after his son challenged him and he lost his spot as head honcho. He's back to his normal self now that I sold his son.

I was thinking neurological also, he might have taken an injury that you didn't see. One of my hens survived a raccoon attack, only to suffer a head injury that caused brain swelling and she had to be put down by my vet days later. Keep him separate and lots of TLC. 🙏

Hi! Can you get b complex and vitamin e into him, it looks like neurological issue, maybe he's been kept from feed which caused a nutrient dificiency.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous
Thanks, I feed in 4 different spots because I have a couple of bullies. That way the hens lower in the pecking order get food.
He was top dog until I left them in the coop and run, to go to my mother-in-law's house for the day.
They free-range and have a large coop and larger run that they have 24/7 access. I don't see how that could be vitamin defficiency, I do supplement, but I will still try your advice. Maybe it will help, thank you. He seems to be getting a little better, but his balance is still off.

Thanks, I feed in 4 different spots because I have a couple of bullies. That way the hens lower in the pecking order get food.
He was top dog until I left them in the coop and run, to go to my mother-in-law's house for the day.
They free-range and have a large coop and larger run that they have 24/7 access. I don't see how that could be vitamin defficiency, I do supplement, but I will still try your advice. Maybe it will help, thank you. He seems to be getting a little better, but his balance is still off.
It could take a week of supplementation before you see improvement, don't give up! 💗

Back
Top Bottom